Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Led Zeppelin

how I got over my dibilitating depression

Hi, i used to be like a lot of you people, then i realized that something so simple would help my depression, so much so that i could probably say that it is mostly recovered and definitely not debilitating like it used to be. Warning this thread is probably tl;dr for most people on here.

You people who know me know that i am/was an attention whore who would talk about suicide all the time, i never did it (luckily or because i am a coward, however you look at it) obviously, but it seems this overarching story is pretty common among the runescape players, even in-game depression creeps among the best of the players, plaguing their every move, only getting by because of the next level up or achievement.

What helped me though? 

The touch

It is the touch, being able to touch another animal that you know cares about you, to tell you that you are not alone and that you are loved and needed, this is how you prevent the blue feelings. You cannot get caught up in blue feelings, if you do you will never get out of your rut. If you are so depressed that you feel you are not even capable of taking care of an emotional support pet then i would highly recommend seeing a doctor about an anxiety* medication.

*Anxiety medication seems to help much more than any depression medication, I have found that from personal testing and experience the depression is actually rooted deep in a state of anxiety that you cannot control and this causes the depression, they often go hand-in-hand, though this is only for my personal examinations, you may need an antidepressant...

The main reason i say depression is rooted in anxiety is because true depression is the inability to get out of bed, take care of ones-self or even care about your surroundings -- i find that most people i talk to aren't actually like this fully, they simply have so much anxiety that they haven't dealt with that it causes a depression because you don't want to think about the things that are making you anxious.

Finding your totem

You have to find your totems -- metaphysical things to keep you attached to this world, things that get you out of bed and able to feed yourself, for me it was my pets and bunnies, for others it may be other things.

Back before everyone was super careful about having children i firmly believe most people used their children for their totem, it is relatively hard to go catatonic when you have a smiling cute face to take care of, this only helps for about 10 years per child but that is better than most things you could find.

The fact of the matter is our totems are the things in our "nest" and our entire generation (born 1980-2000) has empty nest syndrome since everyone is telling us to not have kids.

Final thoughts

So my final thought is this: if you are depressed you cannot sit alone and wallow, people cannot help you if you don't ask for help.

Also if you could afford to have a child and could provide it with a home you are happy with, just go ahead and have a kid, this idea that we need to wait is literally killing people and our economic pyramid is fucked by the fact that none of us are having kids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

mate, depression for me is power, im way less depressed from before because im using that energy toward the gym and other things in life, am now so confident of myself i join events and i present infront of audience with no issues, i have friends but i'd rather sit alone and gather that energy and put it toward something greater, everyone in the class ask me why am i so silent and why have i changed, and i just tell them some excuses like am tired or stuff, but too be honest i just keep that energy inside and i use it towards working on my goal,gym and other things in life that i keep working on every single day, depression is a blessing sometimes u just need to know how to use it in ur favour.

anyways glad u are recovered, i have always wanted to have a german dog but its too hard to take care of, wish u the best

Edited by leoshiro

3 minutes ago, leoshiro said:

mate, depression for me is power, im way less depressed from before because im using that energy toward the gym and other things in life, am now so confident of myself i join events and i present infront of audience with no issues, i have friends but i'd rather sit alone and gather that energy and put it toward something greater, everyone in the class ask me why am i so silent and why have i changed, and i just tell them some excuses like am tired or stuff, but too be honest i just keep that energy inside and i use it towards working on my goal,gym and other things in life that i keep working on every single day, depression is a blessing sometimes u just need to know how to use it in ur favour.

anyways glad u are recovered, i have always wanted to have a german dog but its too hard to take care of, wish u the best

It sounds more like you are just a introverted person, which there is nothing wrong with that. I agree though you cannot truly recover from something until you know how bad it really can get.

1 minute ago, Led Zeppelin said:

It sounds more like you are just a introverted person, which there is nothing wrong with that. I agree though you cannot truly recover from something until you know how bad it really can get.

yeah am an introvert but also was depressed and i can admit to that because i had no goals in life, and i think anyone can change that, just accept what happened and move on and focus real hard on ur everyday tasks to a point were u can't wait till tomorrow to continue working on it again, that way u will have a purpose in life and will see urself valuable as a person and in the community.

i think those who were always happy since day 1(meaning since they were kids till they were adults) are either ignoring the truth reality of the world or lack some kind of awareness, it strikes the person when knowing how the reality of the world works and its hard to swallow for so many of us

17 minutes ago, leoshiro said:

yeah am an introvert but also was depressed and i can admit to that because i had no goals in life, and i think anyone can change that, just accept what happened and move on and focus real hard on ur everyday tasks to a point were u can't wait till tomorrow to continue working on it again, that way u will have a purpose in life and will see urself valuable as a person and in the community.

i think those who were always happy since day 1(meaning since they were kids till they were adults) are either ignoring the truth reality of the world or lack some kind of awareness, it strikes the person when knowing how the reality of the world works and its hard to swallow for so many of us

Well it is like they say "ignorance is bliss"