Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CyberWizard

add sort by last update to repository

This would be a very bad idea, because any scripter can write an auto-updater that automatically submits the same source code every 24 hours (or any other interval).

Furthermore, even if this didn't open the gates for abuse, the script's last update time is not an accurate indicator of its quality. Anyone can update the same bad code as many times as they wish, and on the other hand there are certain scripts that haven't been updated in months because they are extremely robust and they are working perfectly even after dozens of game updates.

There are many other changes that can improve the repository, this is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

This would be a very bad idea, because any scripter can write an auto-updater that automatically submits the same source code every 24 hours (or any other interval).

Furthermore, even if this didn't open the gates for abuse, the script's last update time is not an accurate indicator of its quality. Anyone can update the same bad code as many times as they wish, and on the other hand there are certain scripts that haven't been updated in months because they are extremely robust and they are working perfectly even after dozens of game updates.

There are many other changes that can improve the repository, this is not one of them.

If you don't like it don't use it, if people abuse it warn/punish them. It's a feature I'd love personally and I think some others would like. 

3 hours ago, CyberWizard said:

If you don't like it don't use it, if people abuse it warn/punish them. It's a feature I'd love personally and I think some others would like. 

Me not liking the idea was not among the arguments I brought up, because it is not a valid argument.

Sorting scripts by the latest update date is a very dangerous idea that:

• Will almost certainly result in abuse, with some scripters effectively "bumping" their scripts through auto-updaters
  • Deceive the users into believing that one script is better than the other one, based on its index
  • Tells absolutely nothing about the quality of the code submitted. Just because it was recently re-uploaded, it doesn't mean that it's better than the previous version, or other competing products.

I understand that this idea was based on the observation that active scripters that are frequently updating their scripts also have high quality scripts, but correlation doesn't imply causation. The said scripts are good not because they are being frequently updated, but because they are maintained by a good scripter that cares about his work, and also happens to update frequently.

In most cases, the last time a script was updated tells absolutely nothing about the script itself, and should not even be taken into account by the users. If there is anything that can be done about the "last update date", that would be removing it completely.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

I agree

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Me not liking the idea was not among the arguments I brought up, because it is not a valid argument.

Sorting scripts by the latest update date is a very dangerous idea that:

• Will almost certainly result in abuse, with some scripters effectively "bumping" their scripts through auto-updaters
  • Deceive the users into believing that one script is better than the other one, based on its index
  • Tells absolutely nothing about the quality of the code submitted. Just because it was recently re-uploaded, it doesn't mean that it's better than the previous version, or other competing products.

I understand that this idea was based on the observation that active scripters that are frequently updating their scripts also have high quality scripts, but correlation doesn't imply causation. The said scripts are good not because they are being frequently updated, but because they are maintained by a good scripter that cares about his work, and also happens to update frequently.

In most cases, the last time a script was updated tells absolutely nothing about the script itself, and should not even be taken into account by the users. If there is anything that can be done about the "last update date", that would be removing it completely.

This.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Encoded said:

I'm not opposed to having this as an option as long as it is not the default sorting option.

This. When I just came here and was looking around for scripts I bumped into loads of outdated scripts. On the first rows of the repository without using any filter/sort function there are still some really outdated scripts which don't even work. 

Edited by angelheartz

12 hours ago, Encoded said:

I'm not opposed to having this as an option as long as it is not the default sorting option.

^ This .

When i search for scripts i do check the freshness and assess the quality through trials.

So if you are saying that people would abuse this by bumping their script, honestly if you choose a script based on the latest then you are retarded.

If you look in the repo you would find scripts not updated for 1-2 years and they don't function fully.

The game is always evolving and some of the script writers on tribot do not update their scripts to support the latest methods.