Jump to content
chachacha

jagex and gdpr

Recommended Posts

When you log into the game, at least from what I remember many years ago. When you logged in, your IP address would be shown on the banner during the log in screen as the last IP Address. I don't know why you would think they don't know what it is to begin with. Almost, if not all websites/companies log your IP when you open a webpage or game AFAIK.

As @Adventure_Time said, you consented to allowing them to collect data when you created an account. Hence the reason why you get disclaimers on Cookies. Why do you think when you're on the likes of facebook you get advertisements based on what websites you've been on & or searched for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Adventure_Time said:

They already tell you what data they collect. When you use their product you agree to allow them to collect the information they list in their terms of service.

This won't change that, because you're consenting to it. You're letting them gather/use that data.

Is there a resource online somewhere this information can be viewed? I've never seen this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IceKontroI said:

Is there a resource online somewhere this information can be viewed? I've never seen this.

https://www.jagex.com/terms/privacy

The important piece from that:

3. What other information is collected and stored?

We use Cookies, collect and store IP-addresses, alphanumeric IDs and other unique identifiers in order to identify specific computers that access the Jagex Products. We identify and store the versions of Java and .NET (if any) on your computer along with your browser and operating system, and details of your device's hardware and software specifications.

For more information about Cookies, the information they collect and how to disable them, please visit our Cookies page.

We generate and store logs indicating usage of the Jagex Products such as activity in our games and public and private chat communications. This includes monitoring play patterns and anti-tamper checks which verify the correct internal operation of our software and are designed to spot abusive or inappropriate activities.

We may track your use of certain features and areas of the Jagex Products to help us improve them.

If our client software held on your computer fails, it sends an automatic error report to our server to help us fix it. This error report only includes information about the internal state of our own client software and which browser/java version it is running on. It does not include data from elsewhere on your system and so does not reveal Personally Identifiable Information to us.

We store 'save game' and 'game settings' information to enable us to provide a better games service in which your activities and achievements are remembered in the game, and we conduct polls to find better ways of serving the needs of our users.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Adventure_Time said:

3. What other information is collected and stored?

We use Cookies, collect and store IP-addresses, alphanumeric IDs and other unique identifiers in order to identify specific computers that access the Jagex Products. We identify and store the versions of Java and .NET (if any) on your computer along with your browser and operating system, and details of your device's hardware and software specifications.

For more information about Cookies, the information they collect and how to disable them, please visit our Cookies page.

We generate and store logs indicating usage of the Jagex Products such as activity in our games and public and private chat communications. This includes monitoring play patterns and anti-tamper checks which verify the correct internal operation of our software and are designed to spot abusive or inappropriate activities.

We may track your use of certain features and areas of the Jagex Products to help us improve them.

If our client software held on your computer fails, it sends an automatic error report to our server to help us fix it. This error report only includes information about the internal state of our own client software and which browser/java version it is running on. It does not include data from elsewhere on your system and so does not reveal Personally Identifiable Information to us.

We store 'save game' and 'game settings' information to enable us to provide a better games service in which your activities and achievements are remembered in the game, and we conduct polls to find better ways of serving the needs of our users.

That's pretty useful, can't believe I've not seen this before. @contemporary maybe it really was hardware linking the accounts together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IceKontroI said:

That's pretty useful, can't believe I've not seen this before. @contemporary maybe it really was hardware linking the accounts together.

Some unique identifiers can't be hidden even by VMs, which means there's no easy way to circumvent this identification.

I'm sure they're not using hardware IDs to link accounts on a regular basis, otherwise everyone would routinely lose their whole farms. When/if they do, however, you'll get whacked no matter what.

Edited by contemporary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2018 at 5:42 PM, contemporary said:

Some unique identifiers can't be hidden even by VMs, which means there's no easy way to circumvent this identification.

I'm sure they're not using hardware IDs to link accounts on a regular basis, otherwise everyone would routinely lose their whole farms. When/if they do, however, you'll get whacked no matter what.

under the new GDPR rules, companies cant use IP addresses as a unique identifier on a user

On 21/03/2018 at 4:37 PM, IceKontroI said:

That's pretty useful, can't believe I've not seen this before. @contemporary maybe it really was hardware linking the accounts together.

 

On 21/03/2018 at 5:19 AM, Adventure_Time said:

https://www.jagex.com/terms/privacy

The important piece from that:

3. What other information is collected and stored?

We use Cookies, collect and store IP-addresses, alphanumeric IDs and other unique identifiers in order to identify specific computers that access the Jagex Products. We identify and store the versions of Java and .NET (if any) on your computer along with your browser and operating system, and details of your device's hardware and software specifications.

For more information about Cookies, the information they collect and how to disable them, please visit our Cookies page.

We generate and store logs indicating usage of the Jagex Products such as activity in our games and public and private chat communications. This includes monitoring play patterns and anti-tamper checks which verify the correct internal operation of our software and are designed to spot abusive or inappropriate activities.

We may track your use of certain features and areas of the Jagex Products to help us improve them.

If our client software held on your computer fails, it sends an automatic error report to our server to help us fix it. This error report only includes information about the internal state of our own client software and which browser/java version it is running on. It does not include data from elsewhere on your system and so does not reveal Personally Identifiable Information to us.

We store 'save game' and 'game settings' information to enable us to provide a better games service in which your activities and achievements are remembered in the game, and we conduct polls to find better ways of serving the needs of our users.

 

I'm going to file a FOI request from jagex, it should be interesting on what info they have on me & might clear up some IP & payment method questions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, chachacha said:

under the new GDPR rules, companies cant use IP addresses as a unique identifier on a user

 

I'm going to file a FOI request from jagex, it should be interesting on what info they have on me & might clear up some IP & payment method questions. 

We're speculating about them using more than just IPs to link accounts together. Making a Freedom of Information request is an interesting idea though, let us know how it goes.

If I understand correctly, collecting any identifiers of their EU customers would violate GDPR as well starting next month.

Edited by contemporary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • This release will:

      Fix login bot after today's game update (Thanks @JoeDezzy1)


      Fix latest in-game world hopping issues (Thanks @erickho123)


      Compact Settings UI and set location relative to TRiBot (Thanks @JoeDezzy1)


      Fix an older implementation of GrandExchange#getWindowState (Thanks @JoeDezzy1)


      Improve the preformance of NPCChat by only searching in certain interface parents (Thanks @JoeDezzy1)



      Upcoming updates:

      Break handler bug fix


      Improved CLI support


      LG support for RuneLite


      Much more



      Note: If you are using LG, please restart both the RS client and TRiBot
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 10 replies
    • This release will:

      Fix bytecode manipulation in order to prevent the modification of parameters within the Filter and Condition classes themselves (thanks @wastedbro)


      Fix NPE caused by non-null value in GE API (thanks @erickho123)


      Add and fix equals methods for api2007.types (thanks @JoeDezzy1)


      Modify Mouse#leaveGame to make the mouse leave the game from top, left, right, or bottom (thanks @erickho123)


      Add Entrana area to Ships API (thanks @erickho123)


      Fix raid prayers index/settings in Prayer API (thanks @erickho123)



      Upcoming updates:

      Break handler bug fix


      Improved CLI support


      Much more



      Note: If you are using LG, please restart both the RS client and TRiBot
        • Like
      • 29 replies
    • This update will:

      Implement better canvas locking/synchronization mechanism


      Fix small Login API bug


      Remove the requirement for xbooting Java classes


      Use ExecutorService to perform canvas work in parallel


      Add "Account Management" game tab to GameTab API (thanks @Encoded)


      Fix NPCChat#getMessage (thanks @Encoded )


      Fix NPCChat#selectOption (thanks @Encoded )


      Fix Banking API after today's update (thanks @Encoded )


      Fix in-game world hopper after today's update (thanks @Encoded )



      Upcoming updates:

      Break handler bug fix


      Improved CLI support


      Much more



      Note: If you are using LG, please restart both the RS client and TRiBot
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 38 replies
    • This release includes:

      Fix updater bug which was causing a bunch of issues


      TRiBot will no longer require manual hook fixes every time the RS client updates - the updater has been fully patched for objects


      Hooked login fields


      Improved the login bot


      Ability to recognize the banned/locked messages again


      Ability to read the current input for username and password fields


      If the username or password is already entered correctly, it won't be erased


      If only part of the username or password is already entered correctly, it won't be erased. The login bot will fill in what's missing.


      If there are a few invalid characters after a valid substring of your username/password, only (approximately) those invalid characters will be erased. The login bot will then proceed to fill in the missing characters.





      Coming soon:

      Skull icon fix


      Improve screen rate and responsiveness of the RS client (both regular client and LG)


      Much more
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 33 replies
    • This release includes:

      Fix shift clicking option selecting


      Fix high paint delay settings saving


      Update prayer IDs for the quick select menu


      Remove RS3 support


      Fix hooks



      RS3 Support Removed

      The RS3 client hasn't been updated since our Old-School version of TRiBot was released, as many of you may have noticed. Keeping all of the RS3 code in the client made the client as a whole harder to maintain, larger, slower, and messier. As hardly anyone still uses the RS3 client, and since the RS3 API was hardly functioning, we made the decision to completely remove it from TRiBot.

      For the average user, this means that the client will be smaller, cleaner, and faster. Future updates will also take less work meaning there will be more frequent updates.

      If you were one of the few users still using the RS3 client, we apologize for the inconvenience. No future support for RS3 is planned. There are many other botting clients which has support for RS3, so we recommend finding an alternative if you wish to continue botting on RS3.
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 25 replies
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×