Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buy OSRS Gold

Sell OSRS Gold
Arctic

Paying premium prices for less than premium updates? (Or no updates at all).

A recurring problem I've noticed throughout TRiBot is that once a premium script goes to market,

scripters can't get away with not updating scripts for a lengthy period of time. I'm going to use Tau Grand Exchange as an example but scripts by some other premium scripters are by no means better updated.

Minimum Script cost: $20

Licence expires every: 30 days

Posts by the Author related to the script.

GQSWZFU.png

ssqniOB.png

Now consider when the script was actually last updated: 5 Months ago.

V7GW6jQ.png

Edited by YoHoJo
  • Like 2

Array
Just now, Netami said:

I always encourage people to support the scripters that update their scripts and are responsive on the forums

100% :) Just that the nature of/lack of competition for some scripts mean that scripters have the ability to sit back and relax a bit (sometimes a lot) more, before they actually need to do something. Which is extremely unfortunate.

• Like 1

Another large-scale script audit could be useful. Some have been pushing for official script testers. I wouldn't be opposed to that. 

I don't think it's against the rules to write script reviews, as long as they are factual, professional, and kept up to date. Right now, the only way to change the way it works is to get people to stop funding this behavior.

Competition isn't the only issue. Most customers barely even read the forums. They just see that Script A has 5000 users on the repo and automatically assume it's the best. This won't change with competition, which is why scripters are discouraged from trying to compete.

This in part due to the way the repo is structured. It favors old scripts for no other reason than that they're old. 

1 hour ago, wastedbro said:

Competition isn't the only issue. Most customers barely even read the forums. They just see that Script A has 5000 users on the repo and automatically assume it's the best. This won't change with competition, which is why scripters are discouraged from trying to compete.

This in part due to the way the repo is structured. It favors old scripts for no other reason than that they're old. 

While I do agree with you somewhat, I feel like I might be the only exception to this. My fisher wasn't always the most popular fisher. ftwFisher actually still has more total user count and out sold me for years. I have just consistently kept my fisher up to date and adapted to game changes so I overtook him in monthly sales which is how the repo is sorted. 
I've personally always wanted the repo to be randomly sorted, each time you load it, scripts would be in a different order.

Edited by Encoded

1 hour ago, Arctic said:

the nature of/lack of competition for some scripts mean that scripters have the ability to sit back and relax a bit (sometimes a lot) more

I strongly agree.

There should be at least 3 premium scripts for every skill, so the users have a broader spectrum of choices. Competition will eventually lead to higher quality software.

1 hour ago, wastedbro said:

Right now, the only way to change the way it works is to get people to stop funding this behavior.

They just see that Script A has 5000 users on the repo and automatically assume it's the best. This won't change with competition, which is why scripters are discouraged from trying to compete. This in part due to the way the repo is structured. It favors old scripts for no other reason than that they're old. 

+1

Good measures that could stop certain scripts from being a monopoly:

• Removal of lifetime auths entirely.
  • Hiding the number of users of the scripts from the repository. A high number of users tells a lot about the history of a script and the position it occupied in the market years ago, but unfortunately doesn't necessarily reflect its quality.

@Usa

Yes, I do agree with you and it is really annoying. Some people are joking about @TacoManStan and his situation, but he has been going through a tough time . 
I already messaged him IRL about the issue and pretty much done the best I can do to get it fixed.

As a side note, the whole TAU support team has not been paid for almost one year and nobody left the team which means that we basically have worked for free to support Taco's customers and him in his current situation.
Speaking for myself: Since I was lucky to make money during the last Crypto bull run, I stopped botting & being very active on TRiBot, but am still here to help him.
Hopefully this somehow proves Taco's situation :)

Maybe once everything works as it is supposed to, I can convince Taco to give the people who bought during these downtimes a huge discount code.

regards

Edited by Butta
^
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Butta said:

Yes, I do agree with you and it is really annoying. Some people are joking about @TacoManStan and his situation, but he has been going through a tough time . 
I already messaged him IRL about the issue and pretty much done the best I can do to get it fixed.

As a side note, the whole TAU support team has not been paid for almost one year and nobody left the team which means that we basically have worked for free to support Taco's customers and him in his current situation.
Speaking for myself: Since I was lucky to make money during the last Crypto bull run, I stopped botting & being very active on TRiBot, but am still here to help him.

Maybe once everything works as it is supposed to, I can convince Taco to give the people who bought during these downtimes a huge discount code.

regards

from a financial point why should any of us care about him going through a *rough time* is the thing

he offers a premium service if cannot uphold that he should bring it off the market untill he is able to uphold that like a responsible businessman instead of milking the cash cow not saying he is but hypotheticly same goes for many many other scripters just sucking at the tit of the cash cow

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Butta said:

regards

Of course, there are certain cases with personal circumstances which everyone should understand :)

But it's just a wider problem than one scripter who actually has personal issues though =\

1 minute ago, IceKontroI said:

This is why I write my own scripts. No subscription fees, total control over script development and updates, lower banrate, and best of all programming is a useful skill.

I've always wanted to learn as well but lacked direction. Is this quote by @Einstein one of the better ways to go about it?

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

1. Learn some Java https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

2. Get familiar with the TRiBot API https://tribot.org/doc/

3. Start scripting

Here is a beginners guide:

Last update date is an almost completely irrelevant measure of script quality. If a script is written well, it should never need updates save for a massive change to something in the game such an interface redesign. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arctic said:

I've always wanted to learn as well but lacked direction. Is this quote by @Einstein one of the better ways to go about it?

Yeah that's a solid set of guidelines. Once you get to step 3, I would recommend writing a very simple script just to get the flow of things, a power chopper for example, nothing fancy. Then analyze your own processes and figure out how you would go about completing the objective of the script. Use something like https://www.draw.io/ to map out the process visually so you can understand how the actions flow into each other. Then once you've got your framework you can get into the details of it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, sometimes it helps significantly to just perform the actions you want the script to do yourself for 20-30 minutes, analyzing your own actions and thought processes along the way. Everyone's process is different so it may work for you, it may not. I ended up recording myself running through the script actions manually and then watching the video after, which was very useful for gaining perspective.

Edited by IceKontroI

7 minutes ago, Assume said:

Last update date is an almost completely irrelevant measure of script quality. If a script is written well, it should never need updates save for a massive change to something in the game such an interface redesign. 

This only applies if the script in question has 0 bugs whatsoever. Also, it depends on your definition of script quality.

If by "script quality", you aren't including adapting to new RS content, changes in antiban techniques, increased scripter resources like DaxWalker, then yeah, you can ignore last update date.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Butta said:

regards

If you can’t support your product, then you need to discontinue it. Simply as that. Doesn’t matter what the reason is.

Edited by Encoded
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ownu1hit99 said:

from a financial point why should any of us care about him going through a *rough time* is the thing

he offers a premium service if cannot uphold that he should bring it off the market untill he is able to uphold that like a responsible businessman instead of milking the cash cow not saying he is but hypotheticly same goes for many many other scripters just sucking at the tit of the cash cow

2 hours ago, Arctic said:

Of course, there are certain cases with personal circumstances which everyone should understand :)

But it's just a wider problem than one scripter who actually has personal issues though =\

31 minutes ago, Encoded said:

If you can’t support your product, then you need to discontinue it. Simply as that. Doesn’t matter what the reason is.

This is why customer's can get a refund if they meet the requirements, and I have told them to do that in the support chat.
4h7KX4w.png

I think a bigger issue is when you report a problem and don't get a response in 2-3 weeks, and the one response that was made during that time-frame was to answer another users question of whether or not the script was working, to which the response was " The scripts fine ".

At this point i'm just praying the script lasts me until I make my own.

1 minute ago, theholyone said:

I think a bigger issue is when you report a problem and don't get a response in 2-3 weeks, and the one response that was made during that time-frame was to answer another users question of whether or not the script was working, to which the response was " The scripts fine ".

At this point i'm just praying the script lasts me until I make my own.

You can file a dispute and get a refund after waiting 5 days.

15 minutes ago, Butta said:

This is why customer's can get a refund if they meet the requirements, and I have told them to do that in the support chat.
4h7KX4w.png

How can we access the support chat? Tried looking for a discord to no avail :(

Edited by Arctic

My take on this goes both ways:

The prices for scripts are stupidly low in most cases, and IMO that doesn't really motivate the CS side of things, such as bug fixes / updates, which is understandable.

The other way goes if the price raises presumably a lot of customers will leave with it, which is also a de-motivation for CS.

unless we the customers learn to code for ourselves, we're in a situation where we're dependent on the writer to the point where we can only pray they care enough to fix/update when required, or just give up botting that specific category, move onto another script/bot, or just stop botting in general.

+1 for active script writers :)