• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buy OSRS Gold

Sell OSRS Gold
Encoded

Task Framework Tutorial

Task Framework

A set is a collection that contains no duplicate elements.
The task framework is a sorted set of tasks where each task performs a specific action.
Tasks are sorted in descending order by priority.

Each task has a validate and execute method. The validate method returns a boolean that decides whether or not the task should execute. The execute method should be called when the validate method returns true.

Priority determines which task will be returned by the getValidTask method if two or more tasks' validate methods are to return true.
If you find yourself having two tasks' validate methods returning true with the same priority level, add additional priority levels or modify the tasks' validate methods.

TaskSet is the aggregate of all the tasks. Tasks are sorted upon being added to the set. The getValidTask method returns the highest priority task with a validate method that returns true or null if no task is valid.

Don't forgot to change the packaging if you are copy/pasting the following code.

Task.java
package scripts.api.script.frameworks.task;

public interface Task {

Priority priority();

boolean validate();

void execute();

}
Priority.java

public enum Priority {

HIGH,
    MEDIUM,
    LOW,
    NONE

}
TaskSet.java

import java.util.Arrays;
import java.util.Collection;
import java.util.Comparator;
import java.util.List;
import java.util.TreeSet;

public class TaskSet extends TreeSet<Task> {

public TaskSet() {
        super(Comparator.comparing(Task::priority).thenComparing(Comparator.comparing(task -> task.getClass().getName())));
    }

public TaskSet(Task... tasks) {
        super(Comparator.comparing(Task::priority).thenComparing(Comparator.comparing(task -> task.getClass().getName())));
        addAll(tasks);
    }

public TaskSet(Comparator<? super Task> comparator) {
        this();
    }

public TaskSet(Collection<? extends Task> c) {
        this(c.toArray(new Task[c.size()]));
    }

public TaskSet(SortedSet<Task> s) {
        this(s.toArray(new Task[s.size()]));
    }

public boolean addAll(Task... tasks) {
        return super.addAll(Arrays.asList(tasks));
    }

public Task getValidTask() {
        for (Task task : this) {
            if (task.validate()) {
                return task;
            }
        }
        return null;
    }

}
Example Task
public class ExampleTask implements Task {

@Override
    public String toString() {
        return "Example Task";
    }

@Override
    public Priority priority() {
        return Priority.LOW;
    }

@Override
    public boolean validate() {
        return false;
    }

@Override
    public void execute() {

}

}
Example Script run Method
@Override
public void run() {
    TaskSet tasks = new TaskSet(new ExampleTask());
    while (isRunning) {
        Task task = tasks.getValidTask();
        if (task != null) {
            status = task.toString();
            task.execute();
        }
    }
}
Edited by Encoded
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Encoded So can you tell me how much stuff you should include in each task? Because it seems counter-intuitive to do a new task for every small action if your script is big.

So for example if I want my script to wc and bank before doing another task that could be a quest or other skill. 

I can include my whole wcing/banking code in a single task?

Or should I spread my wcing into various tasks. (one for walking, one for cutting, one for banking)

5 hours ago, Enano25 said:

@Encoded So can you tell me how much stuff you should include in each task? Because it seems counter-intuitive to do a new task for every small action if your script is big.

So for example if I want my script to wc and bank before doing another task that could be a quest or other skill. 

Or should I spread my wcing into various tasks. (one for walking, one for cutting, one for banking)

I would separate walking, banking, and wcing into 3 tasks. They each need to be done when different conditions are met, and should be assigned different priorities based on the conditions met.

8 hours ago, Azuz53487 said:

Wasn't this posted somewhere? Can't remember where I saw it.

I had it in the snippets section, but I rewrote it and moved it to tutorials since that's where the other frameworks are posted.

7 hours ago, Enano25 said:

You can break it down as much as you want. I've even made scripts where a Task will have its own TaskSet within it.
If you want to chain TaskSets together, I suggest adding a stopping condition and then creating a linked list of TaskSets so that you can get the next TaskSet once the current's stopping condition is met. That's what I currently do, but this post is about the basics so I didn't include that.

Edited by Encoded
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Encoded said:

I had it in the snippets section, but I rewrote it and moved it to tutorials since that's where the other frameworks are posted.

You can break it down as much as you want. I've even made scripts where a Task will have its own TaskSet within it.
If you want to chain TaskSets together, I suggest adding a stopping condition and then creating a linked list of TaskSets so that you can get the next TaskSet once the current's stopping condition is met. That's what I currently do, but this post is about the basics so I didn't include that.

Aha, I see! Great! :)

Lets say I have a Mining task...should it be endless mining... or a task set of MineOre tasks. And what if i want to keep a record of total Ore Mined... How would you recommend keeping track of that value outside of the shortlived task class, without creating a major spaghetti mess of code..

With this system I currently have..

Mining/tasks/MineOre.java

Mining/MiningScript.java

Unsure how to convey success/fail information from MineOre's execution to mining script

It's really late maybe my mind is just a bit slow

Edit: ok think I understand now, fail shouldn't matter the task is about completing a task in programming sense, not the same as game sense..

Did it mine ore succesfully? No... But was the mine ore TASK completed? Yeah I guess.. makes me wonder whether it should be named AttemptMineOre would probably make more sense

Also static counter in another class will solve keeping track of missed ores, will give it a go tomorrow 

Edited by pudsta19

Great tutorial @Encoded

Have you experimented with threading in this framework?

Interrupting the current the task for example based on a certain priority of a task that is being validated in another thread?

EG Person appears near you in wilderness triggers task that stops the current task.

Edited by Zapcrack
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 4:21 PM, Zapcrack said:

Great tutorial @Encoded

Interrupting the current the task for example based on a certain priority of a task that is being validated in another thread?

EG Person appears near you in wilderness triggers task that stops the current task.

Instead of dealing unnecessarily with messy threading logic, you could have a service that houses the logic for determining this state you speak of.

IE. determining if there is player next to you. You could then place a dependency on this service for all tasks that are interested in this specific state.

Basically I shouldn't be mining in the wilderness if there is a pker next to me. The mining node has a dependency on the service to determine if there is a pker next to you.

Based on the node framework design this conditional logic should be called from within your mining validator implementation.

Further down stream, while mining the rock in your dynamic sleeping/sleeping method while mining, this state should be checked, and if found the task should return/terminate.

The main loop should then pick up your node that corresponds with what actions you would want to take in this scenario. IE. teleport, run, etc.

Also as far as the priority system goes, I typically see this type of structure being used improperly in place of proper conditional/state logic.

Instead of clearly defining the state/validator for the node, people start using a priority system as an override.

Where it really breaks down is when you have a bunch of nodes in a "high" priority, but you want one in an even higher priority, so you add "very high" etc.

to the priority list/enum. 

Debugging this type of thing could become difficult as the states are unclear mixing in the element of priority on top of poor state logic.

Warfront1

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 9:21 PM, Zapcrack said:

Great tutorial @Encoded

You could store your tasks, or actions how i like to call them, in a LIFO structure, like a stack. 

public class Task {

private Stack<InteractableAction> actionStack = new Stack<>();
    private Goal goal;

public Task(InteractableAction baseAction, Goal goal){
        actionStack.push(baseAction);
        this.goal = goal;
    }

public boolean completed(){
        return goal.completed();
    }

public void execute(){
        InteractableAction currentAction = actionStack.peek();
        if(currentAction == null)
            return;
        if(!currentAction.completed()){
            InteractableAction response = (InteractableAction) currentAction.execute();
            if(response != null){
                actionStack.push(response);
            }
        } else {
            actionStack.pop();
        }
    }

public void end(){
        actionStack = null;
    }

}
public abstract class InteractableAction {

/*
        return a new action if a new action is required, (e.g walking)
        return null if no new action is required.
     */
    public abstract Action execute();

/*
        return true if the action has been completed,
        return false otherwise.
     */
    public abstract boolean completed();

}

In this case your base action would be a mining action which is used to mine your rocks, the mining action returns a bankaction when your inventory is full, the bank action returns a walking action when its completed, etc.

in your mining action, you could add a player check, which if true returns a fleeing action to the action stack in the task. this fleeing action has to be completed before any other action can get executed

3 hours ago, gef30 said:

You could store your tasks, or actions how i like to call them, in a LIFO structure, like a stack. 

public class Task {

private Stack<InteractableAction> actionStack = new Stack<>();
    private Goal goal;

public Task(InteractableAction baseAction, Goal goal){
        actionStack.push(baseAction);
        this.goal = goal;
    }

public boolean completed(){
        return goal.completed();
    }

public void execute(){
        InteractableAction currentAction = actionStack.peek();
        if(currentAction == null)
            return;
        if(!currentAction.completed()){
            InteractableAction response = (InteractableAction) currentAction.execute();
            if(response != null){
                actionStack.push(response);
            }
        } else {
            actionStack.pop();
        }
    }

public void end(){
        actionStack = null;
    }

}
public abstract class InteractableAction {

/*
        return a new action if a new action is required, (e.g walking)
        return null if no new action is required.
     */
    public abstract Action execute();

/*
        return true if the action has been completed,
        return false otherwise.
     */
    public abstract boolean completed();

}

In this case your base action would be a mining action which is used to mine your rocks, the mining action returns a bankaction when your inventory is full, the bank action returns a walking action when its completed, etc.

in your mining action, you could add a player check, which if true returns a fleeing action to the action stack in the task. this fleeing action has to be completed before any other action can get executed

This looks look a tree framework to me, i have been trying to experiment with the Task framework. I might give this a go after i get a working script running with the Task Framework.

11 hours ago, warfront1 said:

Instead of dealing unnecessarily with messy threading logic, you could have a service that houses the logic for determining this state you speak of.

IE. determining if there is player next to you. You could then place a dependency on this service for all tasks that are interested in this specific state.

Basically I shouldn't be mining in the wilderness if there is a pker next to me. The mining node has a dependency on the service to determine if there is a pker next to you.

Based on the node framework design this conditional logic should be called from within your mining validator implementation.

Further down stream, while mining the rock in your dynamic sleeping/sleeping method while mining, this state should be checked, and if found the task should return/terminate.

The main loop should then pick up your node that corresponds with what actions you would want to take in this scenario. IE. teleport, run, etc.

Also as far as the priority system goes, I typically see this type of structure being used improperly in place of proper conditional/state logic.

Instead of clearly defining the state/validator for the node, people start using a priority system as an override.

Where it really breaks down is when you have a bunch of nodes in a "high" priority, but you want one in an even higher priority, so you add "very high" etc.

to the priority list/enum. 

Debugging this type of thing could become difficult as the states are unclear mixing in the element of priority on top of poor state logic.

Warfront1

Yeah this seems like a cleaner approach compared to my threading idea, will try this out for my script. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Zapcrack said:

This looks look a tree framework to me, i have been trying to experiment with the Task framework. I might give this a go after i get a working script running with the Task Framework.

Its not a tree framework, tho it does not use priority. By using a LIFO structure like a stack, you can push a new task/action to your stack at any given time, which has to be executed first. Since Stack.peek returns the newest entry to the stack.