TheDubbelDennis

Building my own server for botting

With the acquired knowledge I got via the forums and by Googling I created me own cheap botting setup. Hopefully someone can review the setup for me. I want to be able to run atleast 30 bots normal settings, no LG.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LTckcf/intel-cpu-bx80623i72600k)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hmtCmG/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2)

Motherboard: MSI B250M GAMING PRO LGA 1151 Intel B250 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboards (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130985&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=)

Memory: 2 x 16GB RAM

Storage: Own input (can be very small, right?)

Video Card: Own input (doesn't really add any value regarding botting, right?)

Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3MPfrH/deepcool-case-tesseractsw

Power supply: Thermaltake - Smart M 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7bJwrH/thermaltake-power-supply-sp850m

Hardware/Software: Own input

• Like 1

A i7 from 6 years ago and you want to run 30 bots good joke dude. A 850w psu is crazy overkill for this. Get a 450w or fuck even lower and you'll be fine.

The motherboard is a 1151 socket while the cpu is 1155 socket. so they will not work together.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure why you're going for such an old i7 and if the price you're paying for it is based on the prices that pcpartpicker is going by then you might as well get a ryzen 5 1600x or maybe even a ryzen 7.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8hwqqs/amd-ryzen-5-1600x-36ghz-6-core-processor-yd160xbcaewof

Cheaper and so much better.

And ludify is correct, you don't need anywhere near a 850w psu, 450w will be fine unless you're planning to put in a decent gpu.

Edited by magerz4

Create a computer on pcpartpicker, don't just select a bunch of products.

It will handle all the compatibility issues for you, so that you don't pick a motherboard and CPU which are not compatible like you have.

Posted (edited)

I'm assuming your budget is ~$500 (as it was the sum of your parts).

Based on that, I was able to create a much better build for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.65 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - A320M-DGS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ B&H)
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $516.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-20 15:13 EDT-0400

Some thoughts:

• Ryzen 5 1600 destroys your i7-2600k. UserBenchmark.
  • I don't think you'll need an aftermarket cooler. R5 1600 comes with a heatsync.
  • As pointed out by other posters, your motherboard and CPU socket ARE NOT COMPATIBLE! DO NOT BUY THAT COMBO.
  • You won't need a lot of storage for a use case like this. Based on that, I opted for a 250GB SSD. A 120GB could accommodate your needs too. Or, opt for your storage.
  • Video card is not required.
  • You could opt for a smaller case with this build.
  • Your PSU is overkill. The 450W one I've chosen is more realistic, and cheaper.
  • It could be more economical to rent a server. Have you considered it?
Edited by Crimson

35 minutes ago, Crimson said:

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($111.99 @ Newegg)

Some thoughts

Would more than likely need 32gb of ram to get the 30 bots he wants. 64bit java uses ~700mb per client after awhile. He could even swap out the ssd for a 16 or 32gb flash drive and be perfectly fine as well, I did that on one of my old computers that I used for botting after the harddrive took a shit.

I normally recommend getting a dedicated server. It's easy as hell to setup with minimal googling and they are normally very cost efficient. OP, if you actually want a dedicated server instead, DO NOT buy from any of the VPS sites advertised on here. Just buy a dedicated server from nocix and if you really can't figure out how to setup everything on it, pay someone 5-10$ to get it setup. You will be paying just about half the price the other sites advertise for. I've had maybe 2-3 total days of downtime since I started using them this year and they were due to large storms.

1 minute ago, ludify said:

Would more than likely need 32gb of ram to get the 30 bots he wants. 64bit java uses ~700mb per client after awhile. He could even swap out the ssd for a 16 or 32gb flash drive and be perfectly fine as well, I did that on one of my old computers that I used for botting after the harddrive took a shit.

Possibly. The other way to look at it is [512MB * 30 = 15GB]. OP should determine their RAM/client and go from there.

There's just not a good reason to use a flash drive as a primary disk these days... 1TB HDDs @ 7200rpm for $45 & will have better speeds, durability, capacity, etc.

12 hours ago, Crimson said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.65 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - A320M-DGS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $516.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-20 15:13 EDT-0400

Some thoughts:

• Ryzen 5 1600 destroys your i7-2600k. UserBenchmark.
  • I don't think you'll need an aftermarket cooler. R5 1600 comes with a heatsync.
  • As pointed out by other posters, your motherboard and CPU socket ARE NOT COMPATIBLE! DO NOT BUY THAT COMBO.
  • You won't need a lot of storage for a use case like this. Based on that, I opted for a 250GB SSD. A 120GB could accommodate your needs too. Or, opt for your storage.
  • Video card is not required.
  • You could opt for a smaller case with this build.
  • Your PSU is overkill. The 450W one I've chosen is more realistic, and cheaper.

First of all thanks everybody for their input, gave me a lot more specific knowledge on this matter.

As of now I am renting a server, but since I have different servers running it takes more effort to manage those. I am renting servers from Contabo, but so far I am not really satisfied so might look into dedicated servers from Nocix as suggested by Ludify.

Also, what I experienced in talking with scripters you need an advanced muling script to mule across different computers/servers, which makes purchasing private scripts way more expensive. Therefore I am leaning towards the suggestion given by Crimson, so that I can control all bots easily in one go. 

My bots are using around 550MB RAM per client. 

2 hours ago, TheDubbelDennis said:

Also, what I experienced in talking with scripters you need an advanced muling script to mule across different computers/servers, which makes purchasing private scripts way more expensive. Therefore I am leaning towards the suggestion given by Crimson, so that I can control all bots easily in one go. 

Just a heads up, i'm working on a bot manager which is able to add muling support to any script with support across multiple computers, plus a lot more features.

There's a free beta available, with muling being added soon, more info here:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ludify said:

I normally recommend getting a dedicated server. It's easy as hell to setup with minimal googling and they are normally very cost efficient. OP, if you actually want a dedicated server instead, DO NOT buy from any of the VPS sites advertised on here. Just buy a dedicated server from nocix and if you really can't figure out how to setup everything on it, pay someone 5-10$ to get it setup. You will be paying just about half the price the other sites advertise for. I've had maybe 2-3 total days of downtime since I started using them this year and they were due to large storms.

What plan would you recommend to run 30 bots on nocix?  I am currently looking at this one: 

Intel Core Series i7-6700K
32GB DDR4
2x 480gb SSD

[3.4GHz / 4GHz Turbo 4 Cores / 8 Threads32GB DDR42x 480gb SSD100TB Monthly Transfer 5 usable IPv4 Address /64 IPv6 Address Block] for $79 per month.

This should fulfill my needs to run 30bots at 550mb/cient right?

14 hours ago, TheDubbelDennis said:

What plan would you recommend to run 30 bots on nocix?  I am currently looking at this one: 

Intel Core Series i7-6700K
32GB DDR4
2x 480gb SSD

[3.4GHz / 4GHz Turbo 4 Cores / 8 Threads32GB DDR42x 480gb SSD100TB Monthly Transfer 5 usable IPv4 Address /64 IPv6 Address Block] for $79 per month.

This should fulfill my needs to run 30bots at 550mb/cient right?

Dual Xeon 5639 with 32gb of ram should hold 50 bots. It's 55$/month but currently out of stock. They generally get back in stock within a few days.

• Like 1