Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bluefirecorp

Ahh, that new Cisco USC blade smell

22 posts in this topic

Finally upgraded vCenter, which means that we can finally install the new blades!

Woot.

Sexy isn't it?

JRcyK6O.png

Yes, that's 400 GB of memory and 40 logical processors. Nearly a half of TB of memory in a single blade.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Gh0sty said:

lol ur fucking insane :D

This is just the start... the test blade to make sure shit works in the boxes fine. Eventually, we're going to add more. This is in addition to our current blades which only have like 200-300 GB of memory in them. =P

We have a couple of those.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Will said:

How come you went for the v3 E5, not the v4? 

Matching architecture for vMotion, I believe.

Last thing I want to have to do is migrate all the VMs to a new cluster...

2 hours ago, bluefirecorp said:

Matching architecture for vMotion, I believe.

Last thing I want to have to do is migrate all the VMs to a new cluster...

Ah ok. I'm currently building a dual E5 2683 v3 rig. I'm struggling to find/choose a motherboard that is reliable etc, but doesn't break the bank either.

2 hours ago, Will said:

Ah ok. I'm currently building a dual E5 2683 v3 rig. I'm struggling to find/choose a motherboard that is reliable etc, but doesn't break the bank either.

Just buy name brand, Dell, HP, Cisco, etc... otherwise you're not going to get support. Whiteboxing in the server world is dangerous and jobs can be lost fairly easily.

What happens when the drivers/firmware have issues due to compatibility problems in Server 2016? If you bought name brand, that wouldn't happen or else they'd work directly with Microsoft to get you the fix asap.

"No one ever got fired for buying Cisco."

Then again, if this is a home project or for RS botting, then why bother with new kit? Old kit is sooooo cheap and I doubt you have any projects that require the newest and greatest...

18 hours ago, bluefirecorp said:

Just buy name brand, Dell, HP, Cisco, etc... otherwise you're not going to get support. Whiteboxing in the server world is dangerous and jobs can be lost fairly easily.

What happens when the drivers/firmware have issues due to compatibility problems in Server 2016? If you bought name brand, that wouldn't happen or else they'd work directly with Microsoft to get you the fix asap.

"No one ever got fired for buying Cisco."

Then again, if this is a home project or for RS botting, then why bother with new kit? Old kit is sooooo cheap and I doubt you have any projects that require the newest and greatest...

It's predominately going to be a rig for gaming and botting.

E5 2683 v3 are cheap as now. I'm taking about buying used processors but all other parts new.

8 minutes ago, Will said:

It's predominately going to be a rig for gaming and botting.

E5 2683 v3 are cheap as now. I'm taking about buying used processors but all other parts new.

Ah, if you're doing gaming, why bother with server grade spec anyway? The clock rate is lower for the same architecture and ECC memory is much slower than normal memory.

I mean, if you're worried about bitflips, you'd probably want workstation video card... so that means a Quadro, which are even more pricey.

Now for botting, used server kit is fucking epic man. You can get so much hardware for so cheap. We're talking 100+ GB of memory for less than $500.

Well it'll mostly be for botting. Although I plan on putting a gtx 1080 in there also. 

The kit is cheap, but I'm struggling to find a motherboard.

15 minutes ago, Will said:

Well it'll mostly be for botting. Although I plan on putting a gtx 1080 in there also. 

The kit is cheap, but I'm struggling to find a motherboard.

What was your RSCA screen name? I'm thinking Mis*ing* something or other, had like 27k posts, but honestly, I could be mistaking you for someone else.

I wouldn't mind helping you find something cheap for your build if you're an old, long lost friend.

Edited by bluefirecorp

You can find pretty cheap servers on eBay for $150-200, Would purchasing one be good for botting since they're not high-end? I know they're noisy and bulky obviously.

Here is a few I've looked at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-1950-III-Server-2x-2-5GHz-E5420-Quad-Core-16GB-2x-500GB-SAS6i-DVD-/171449644608?hash=item27eb31f640:g:A1YAAOSwDk5T822m

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-1950-Server-III-2x2-66GHz-Quad-Core-E5430-16GB-2x73GB-SASiR-2PS-/171434423197?hash=item27ea49b39d:g:7HEAAOSwxH1T-3l5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-Server-2-x-QUAD-CORE-PROCESSORS-16GB-RAM-PERC6i-iDRAC6-1PS-/181658073910?hash=item2a4baa3b36:g:xnoAAOSwNuxXaWxL

Would one of them be better than say just building a pc with an i5-4690k and OCing it to 4.4ghz or so? I'm not worried about power usage etc. I just want to run more bots. I currently can run 14-15 (non-LG) on my i5-4690k without an overclock. If I can run more than that on either of them, I'd be happy. Won't need LG either.

I'm familiar with building desktops, but I've never messed with server grade stuff.

19 hours ago, Duhstin said:

You can find pretty cheap servers on eBay for $150-200, Would purchasing one be good for botting since they're not high-end? I know they're noisy and bulky obviously.

Here is a few I've looked at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-1950-III-Server-2x-2-5GHz-E5420-Quad-Core-16GB-2x-500GB-SAS6i-DVD-/171449644608?hash=item27eb31f640:g:A1YAAOSwDk5T822m

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-1950-Server-III-2x2-66GHz-Quad-Core-E5430-16GB-2x73GB-SASiR-2PS-/171434423197?hash=item27ea49b39d:g:7HEAAOSwxH1T-3l5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-Server-2-x-QUAD-CORE-PROCESSORS-16GB-RAM-PERC6i-iDRAC6-1PS-/181658073910?hash=item2a4baa3b36:g:xnoAAOSwNuxXaWxL

Would one of them be better than say just building a pc with an i5-4690k and OCing it to 4.4ghz or so? I'm not worried about power usage etc. I just want to run more bots. I currently can run 14-15 (non-LG) on my i5-4690k without an overclock. If I can run more than that on either of them, I'd be happy. Won't need LG either.

I'm familiar with building desktops, but I've never messed with server grade stuff.

They're going to be loud to say the least. A bit short on memory. If you pay just a bit more (~$300-500 total shipped), you can easily get 100+ GB of memory stuffed into a dual hexcore Xeon machine.

5 minutes ago, bluefirecorp said:

They're going to be loud to say the least. A bit short on memory. If you pay just a bit more (~$300-500 total shipped), you can easily get 100+ GB of memory stuffed into a dual hexcore Xeon machine.

Yeah, I've been looking. I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Poweredge-R710-2-X-SIX-CORE-2-66GHZ-X5650-72GB-MEMORY-6-X-2TB-12TB-SERVER-/371706314685?hash=item568b6c3fbd:g:BlQAAOSwbsBXmiS2

Them dual CPUs only barely benchmark better than a i7-4790k. However, that whole setup on listings has been selling for $450 on eBay. I could use the 12TB storage for media but I'm curious if it'd run the same amount of bots as the i7-4790k. I know it can run about 25 at the least. Can decide if I want quietness over the 12TB of storage lol. If I go the i7 route, it's obviously newer technology, but I'll be spending more as I'd get an after market cooler + 2x8gb ram as that's the most I can fit on my ITX board I've already got. It'll be about the same no matter which way I go price range.

Edited by Duhstin

1 minute ago, Duhstin said:

Yeah, I've been looking. I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Poweredge-R710-2-X-SIX-CORE-2-66GHZ-X5650-72GB-MEMORY-6-X-2TB-12TB-SERVER-/371706314685?hash=item568b6c3fbd:g:BlQAAOSwbsBXmiS2

Them dual CPUs only barely benchmark better than a i7-4790k. However, that whole setup on listings has been selling for $450 on eBay. I could use the 12TB storage for media but I'm curious if it'd run the same amount of bots as the i7-4790k. I know it can run about 25 at the least. Can decide if I want quietness over the 12TB of storage lol.

The storage is what makes the price stupid. Not even searching that hard:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DL360-G6-Intel-Xeon-X5650-72GB-RAM-2x-300GB-SAS-2x-146GB-SAS-Ships-Today-/222210663379?hash=item33bcc9a3d3:g:yhgAAOSwyLlXpQiO

Nearly half the price with free shipping (the R710 normally auctions for over $500, just as an FYI).

I've been looking at just doing blades. My servers are hard to lug around. Also, half the time, they come with bent rails, so it's impossible to get them racked.

1 minute ago, bluefirecorp said:

The storage is what makes the price stupid. Not even searching that hard:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DL360-G6-Intel-Xeon-X5650-72GB-RAM-2x-300GB-SAS-2x-146GB-SAS-Ships-Today-/222210663379?hash=item33bcc9a3d3:g:yhgAAOSwyLlXpQiO

Nearly half the price with free shipping (the R710 normally auctions for over $500, just as an FYI).

I've been looking at just doing blades. My servers are hard to lug around. Also, half the time, they come with bent rails, so it's impossible to get them racked.

Do you have any experience with botting on these CPUs?

1 minute ago, Duhstin said:

Do you have any experience with botting on these CPUs?

Not the hexcores. I have L5520s in my C1100. Sadly, I never ran enough bots to max out the system. =(

1 minute ago, bluefirecorp said:

Not the hexcores. I have L5520s in my C1100. Sadly, I never ran enough bots to max out the system. =(

Wish route would you take? If not worried about noise and wanting to run the most you could.

2 minutes ago, Duhstin said:

Wish route would you take? If not worried about noise and wanting to run the most you could.

Depends. Do you have a use for the hardware once all your bots get banned and you quit botting RS? Which hardware would be better to keep around or sell?

41 minutes ago, bluefirecorp said:

Depends. Do you have a use for the hardware once all your bots get banned and you quit botting RS? Which hardware would be better to keep around or sell?

Another thing I thought about as well. Though I've botted RS for years but always used extra PC for doing so. As for going server route, all the extra storage would be great as I keep a lot of movies/game files/apps stored on externals. However, if I went server route, I would buy one with 6tb+ storage space. I'd honestly prefer a workstation type setup as I'd prefer a tower obviously and could even throw in a video card. I know the dual CPUs are good for video editing which I like to do every now and then with Sony Vegas.