Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tsuyoshi

Advice

12 posts in this topic

I've recently started to try and learn Java, but it is just so overwhelming. I understand most of what they go through in tutorials and how it works, but when I try to use it I have no clue what I'm doing. I went through the source code of some scripts too, and understood most of the logic in the script, so I decided to try and see how far I would get writing my own and I got nowhere. The sheer amount of things to remember just stops me from remembering anything really and I just give up trying to do anything after 5 minutes.

Did you feel like this when you started learning? And how did you get over it?

How long have you been learning, and what videos/books/ etc are you using to learn? 

1 minute ago, Jebbyo said:

How long have you been learning, and what videos/books/ etc are you using to learn? 

I've been learning for 4 or 5 days now, I'm using John Purcell's guide from Cave of Programming, and also a bit of Head First Java book.

41 minutes ago, Tsuyoshi said:

I've been learning for 4 or 5 days now, I'm using John Purcell's guide from Cave of Programming, and also a bit of Head First Java book.

I would spend much more time learning Java before scripting.

Try an interactive learning website.

Just now, Worthy said:

I would spend much more time learning Java before scripting.

Try an interactive learning website.

I never really intended to write a script, just to see how far I'd get. But it's not just scripting, it's just Java in general that overwhelms me and I feel like I'm making little progress as I can't implement any of the things I learn about unless copying the code.

1 minute ago, Tsuyoshi said:

I never really intended to write a script, just to see how far I'd get. But it's not just scripting, it's just Java in general that overwhelms me and I feel like I'm making little progress as I can't implement any of the things I learn about unless copying the code.

What I said above still applies to your response.

Interactive sites help you work on the code and actively guide you.

1 minute ago, Worthy said:

What I said above still applies to your response.

Interactive sites help you work on the code and actively guide you.

Ah yeah. What interactive sites would you recommend? I used Codecademy, but that has like 30 mins worth of tutorials.

1 hour ago, Tsuyoshi said:

Ah yeah. What interactive sites would you recommend? I used Codecademy, but that has like 30 mins worth of tutorials.

I learnt mine with "Big Java" tutorial book in school. I find that learning then practicing what you learnt is a really good way of remembering and honing your skills. My teacher was a dipwit and I passed my AP test. Pretty much self-studied the class. Its not a skill acquired in a day or two it takes weeks, and months to learn it properly, then more months for efficiently,

9 hours ago, Tsuyoshi said:

Cave of programming is pretty good, but as Worthy said you should do something more interactive. I would recommend doing this course http://mooc.fi/courses/2013/programming-part-1/material.html it has examples, and exercises that you can do that can be checked through a program. Once yoou get a few weeks into the course you could start watching the cave of programming videos to help brush up on some of the concepts. Then once you start grasping java you can try to do some exercises here http://codingbat.com/java

5 minutes ago, Jebbyo said:

Cave of programming is pretty good, but as Worthy said you should do something more interactive. I would recommend doing this course http://mooc.fi/courses/2013/programming-part-1/material.html it has examples, and exercises that you can do that can be checked through a program. Once yoou get a few weeks into the course you could start watching the cave of programming videos to help brush up on some of the concepts. Then once you start grasping java you can try to do some exercises here http://codingbat.com/java

Ah thanks alot :)

11 hours ago, Tsuyoshi said:

I've recently started to try and learn Java, but it is just so overwhelming. I understand most of what they go through in tutorials and how it works, but when I try to use it I have no clue what I'm doing. I went through the source code of some scripts too, and understood most of the logic in the script, so I decided to try and see how far I would get writing my own and I got nowhere. The sheer amount of things to remember just stops me from remembering anything really and I just give up trying to do anything after 5 minutes.

Did you feel like this when you started learning? And how did you get over it?

see it, feel it,  learn it, then you'll enjoy it :) 

My recommendation is that you start with something super simple. It can be anything, but something simple leads you to explore the language and you can build from there. The other posts are right, you should definitely learn more Java before writing a script, that's recommended, but not required. You can learn from writing scripts but that might hinder you in the future. 

Just pick something you want to do, that's very simple. Make a script that goes around and just opens doors in Varrock or an AutoTalker, with something that simple, you learn a ton of things about scripting like web walking, getting various IDs, using the Player object, and so on. From there you build up your knowledge. 

Also, you don't need to remember everything, that's why there are resources available, you can always refer to them.

TLDR: Start simple build from there.