Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

juunhoad

Derek Banas Java tutorial help

12 posts in this topic

Hey,

I'm willing to learn scripting, but first I wanna watch and do the java tutorial from Derek Banas. What I would like to know is: until which part should I watch the tutorial to have a decent understanding for scripting? Like which parts are essential and which are like kinda useless to watch for understanding scripting for tribot or any other bot site. 

Greetings.

EDIT: I guess this needed to be posted in scripting help section!

Edited by juunhoad

I would recommend starting with my tutorials here. They will help you grasp the concepts that Derek will be going over in his tutorials more easily.

As for when you will understand scripting, that depends. I would highly recommend staying away from scripting until you believe you have a firm understanding of Java. That said, most people on this website do not do that, and jump into scripting at a point that I believe to be far too early. That choice, however, is entirely up to you. Scripting is much easier than most Java programming, so you will be able to script with limited knowledge of Java (but again, I wouldn't recommend it).

2 people like this

39 minutes ago, TacoManStan said:

I would recommend starting with my tutorials here. They will help you grasp the concepts that Derek will be going over in his tutorials more easily.

As for when you will understand scripting, that depends. I would highly recommend staying away from scripting until you believe you have a firm understanding of Java. That said, most people on this website do not do that, and jump into scripting at a point that I believe to be far too early. That choice, however, is entirely up to you. Scripting is much easier than most Java programming, so you will be able to script with limited knowledge of Java (but again, I wouldn't recommend it).

Why wouldn't you recommend to jump in scripting a bit to early? Don't you learn alot by trial and error. Like making very basic scripts and looking at other open-source scrips and just trying things out.

2 minutes ago, juunhoad said:

Why wouldn't you recommend to jump in scripting a bit to early? Don't you learn alot by trial and error. Like making very basic scripts and looking at other open-source scrips and just trying things out.

Scripting teaches you poor Java practices. If you don't care about that, then there really isn't a downside to it other than making sub-par scripts.

15 minutes ago, TacoManStan said:

Scripting teaches you poor Java practices. If you don't care about that, then there really isn't a downside to it other than making sub-par scripts.

Well the poor java practices will prob go away, if me or some other basic scriptwriter would teach it the real way right. Like with a java programming course or education for a year or 2.

Edited by juunhoad

13 minutes ago, juunhoad said:

Well the poor java practices will prob go away, if me or some other basic scriptwriter would teach it the real way right. Like with a java programming course or education for a year or 2.

I started the same way of scripting by using very basic java, you need to actively attempt to erase poor practices, which is what I've had to spend a lot of my time fulfilling.

It's easier to learn something properly the first time, rather than attempting to execute something improperly and trying to repair broken knowledge; invest the additional time into programming, it's not even about the end goal of scripts, it's a mindset to be applied to a lot of outside subjects.

Who knows, you may enjoy it, it's not always about the end product you are thinking about.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Liam. said:

I started the same way of scripting by using very basic java, you need to actively attempt to erase poor practices, which is what I've had to spend a lot of my time fulfilling.

It's easier to learn something properly the first time, rather than attempting to execute something improperly and trying to repair broken knowledge; invest the additional time into programming, it's not even about the end goal of scripts, it's a mindset to be applied to a lot of outside subjects.

Who knows, you may enjoy it, it's not always about the end product you are thinking about.

Ya I get what you are saying, that's why I first wanted to watch a tutorial before I get into scripting at all and hopefully get a decent grasp at it. But I will prob dive into it way to early :P

3 minutes ago, juunhoad said:

Ya I get what you are saying, that's why I first wanted to watch a tutorial before I get into scripting at all and hopefully get a decent grasp at it. But I will prob dive into it way to early :P

Everyone does, it's about building yourself up and problem solving in your own manner; rather than following a tutorial and copy and pasting code and learning how to make it work. You don't want to know how to tweak something to make it kind of work as a programmer, you want to build something that will work to the best standard. Problem solving is your creativeness and the code is your art, take pride ;p.

1 person likes this

Derek Banas is the best on YouTube. Watch videos 1-35 and then you can start scripting.

2 people like this

Derek Banas is the best on YouTube. Watch videos 1-35 and then you can start scripting.

Should I watch the Java tutorials or the javascript tutorials?

On 6/15/2016 at 4:06 AM, iJimmy said:

Should I watch the Java tutorials or the javascript tutorials?

The Java tutorials because Java is what you want to learn to script for Tribot. Javascript has other uses.

Goodluck :)

Before viewing the Derek Banas java tutorials I read the book "Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies 3rd Edition 2012". This book offers a very simplistic view of basic development concepts and techniques with Java which carries onto Derek Banas's tutorial quite well as a perfect extension. Before viewing his tutorials I had a rudimentary understanding to everything he talked about. One thing I would advise you to do is not power drill through Java, before going onto new concepts its important that you fully understand the prior one.