Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

iFluffee

[Tutorial] Fluffee's Ultimate Guide to Botting: Part Three - All About Servers

4 posts in this topic

Fluffee's Ultimate Guide to Botting: Part Three - All About Servers

Welcome once again to Fluffee's Ultimate Guide to botting series. If you haven't already read part one or part two, please do so here (https://tribot.org/forums/topic/62462-tutorial-fluffees-ultimate-guide-to-botting-part-one-account-creation-and-management/) or here (https://tribot.org/forums/topic/62766-tutorial-fluffees-ultimate-guide-to-botting-part-two-all-about-proxies/)

--What are servers?--

In a general sense, a server is much like your own home computer, except they are setup for doing different things. In some cases, servers are used to run web sites, office/school networks or running an email service. And as a result of this, companies have began to rent servers out to people, allowing those people to use the companies servers to run websites, maintain an email service, etc. without actually owning a server themselves. Years ago, RuneScape botters realized that these very same servers would allow them to run their bots around the clock without leaving their home PC on all the time. As a result, you now see many people buying Dedicated Severs and/or Virtual Private Servers to run their RuneScape bots.

--What are Virtual Private Servers?--

A Virtual Private Server, or VPS as they are commonly referred to, are virtual servers which you pay a monthly fee to have access to. These Virtual Servers allow you to run your bots 24/7 without leaving your computer on, as the bots will run in the Virtual Server and not your home computer. The reason Virtual Private Servers are so common in the botting community is that they allow users to run their bots while their computer is turned off, and they're relatively inexpensive (around $10 per month, depending on the plan). One of the major drawbacks to a VPS, is that the server you're paying for access to is not a real server, but rather a virtual one created on a real server. The issue with that comes from companies overselling their Virtual Private Servers, essentially they sell more Virtual Private Servers on a real server then what the real server can actually handle, which results in poor performance for running bots. There is no real way to avoid this when purchasing a Virtual Private Server except by purchasing a server from a trusted provider hoping that they won't oversell.

--What are Dedicated Servers?--

Dedicated Servers are very similar to Virtual Private Servers, they come with similar operating systems, you access them the same way, and they allow you to do the same things. However, a Dedicated Server outclasses a Virtual Private Server in one key aspect. A dedicated server is a server, which again you pay a fee to access, but this time you're paying for access to a physical, real server that the company owns and maintains. As a result of this Dedicated Servers are much more expensive, but you pay for the reassurance that you get access to what you advertised, with no overselling what so ever. If you're a serious goldfarmer a Dedicated Server may be for you, and some people swear by them, but if you're new and just looking to get your feet wet a VPS is more then enough for what you'll be doing!

--Why should you use a server of some kind?--

As I've stated above, the most common reason for anyone to use a server over just running bots on your home PC is the ability to go to bed, turn off your computer and have your bots still running in the background. Another great thing, which I personally love about using a Server is the ability to easily measure the costs of your gold farm versus the profits. Using your home PC to run bots is not free as you do have to pay for power consumption, and I hate not being able to accurately measure that cost. Although that's just me, I'm sure someone will probably feel the same!

--How do I setup my server for use with TRiBot?--

I could post an entire guide on how to do this, and actually I have ;) For anyone who's new to servers, and wants a quick and easy way to set them up, check out my guide below, which was updated March 6th, 2016; so yes it's extremely up to date!

--How do I effectively manage multiple servers?--

There's two methods I will propose, and it's up to you how you would like to use them! The first method, as many can expect is a spreadsheet (I love spreadsheets). This spreadsheet, like my others is self explanatory, and has fields for the Server IP, VNC and SSH ports, root password, vnc password and user account password and a description of what runs on the server. However, the one downfall to this is that you can't click on an IP and connect to your server, but that's where RealVNC comes in. To download RealVNC head over to this link https://www.realvnc.com/download/vnc/ and download the full VNC package. During the Install you can uncheck the box for the VNC Server, as you won't need any of that.

Once RealVNC is installed, head to the RealVNC install folder, and open up the VNC Address Book. From there open up the New Entry Dialogue

8t9vqIp.gif

Enter in your server IP and Port into the VNC Server field, uncheck the box for Username, and check the box for Password, then enter in your VNC password. Then press OK. You should then see this dialogue box, where you are prompted to enter a Master Password to protect your address book, so go ahead and do that as well!

S6qgqju.png

Once that's done, you'll see something like this. From there, right click on your newly added VNC Server and you can rename it to make it more recognizable if you'd like

HOjGOvL.gif

And you're done! You now have your first Server added to the Address Book, which makes life incredibly easy as you can just double click to connect! Congrats :)

--How to manage files on your VPS?--

Note: This section of the guide assumes you are not using SSH keys to connect to your server.

There's a couple of ugly, quick and dirty methods to transfer files, such as uploading to Dropbox, or some equivalent and transferring files that way. However, there's a much better method that'll I'll be showcasing today. To begin with download WinSCP from here: https://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Once WinSCP is installed, or downloaded, go ahead and run it. You should be brought to a screen similar to this

gSrvmqv.png

To setup WinSCP to connect to your server, go to the right hand side and change the protocol to SCP (this is a protocol built off of SSH, which means you won't need to install anything extra on your server. After that, type in your server IP address into the field labelled "Host name", and then enter the Port you use to connect via SSH into the "Port number" field. Finally, enter in your SSH username and password; then hit Login or Save (If you wish to).

Assuming you entered everything correctly, you should connect to your server and be able to Upload and Download files through the WinSCP interface.

DtLtwDG.png

--How to Sync your .tribot Folder across multiple locations?--

Due to the length of this particular part of the tutorial, I've decided to move it to it's own topic which you can find here

Shoutout to user @HackRain for inspiring me to figure this out.

And that about brings this segment of the guide to the end, to overview, we've covered what a server is, the different types of servers you can use, should you use a server, and then how to effectively use and manage those servers. I hope you've enjoyed, and learned something from this lengthy guide, be sure to keep on the lookout for Part 4 :)

Edited by iFluffee
2 people like this

The man, the myth, the legend.

Nice one Fluffee

1 person likes this