Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

iFluffee

[Tutorial] Setup Debian (VPS) (6.x, 7.x, 8.x) for Botting (32 and 64 Bit) LG Support Updated August 20th 2016

37 posts in this topic

Notes: I have only been able to test this setup procedure, on Debian 6.0, 7.9 and 8.1 (as they are all DigitalOcean provides). I can assume if it works on those, it will work on the other distributions in that set, but there are no guarantees.

Secondly, this script requires root privileges to run, do not try and run without root or you will encounter issues

Thirdly, this script and tutorial, will guide you through the process of disabling root logins on your server, creating a new account which you will use with root privileges, and changing the default ssh port. If for some reason you feel those are not good things to do (they are, leaving root logins enabled opens you to a world of issues) then you can edit this script yourself, or skip those steps in the guide. Do not post here complaining you can't login as root, you should never ssh as root after you setup the server, and I refuse to promote that terrible practice.

Lastly, there are some redundant commands in the script, however they do no harm so I'm not concerned with them at the moment

Step 1. Acquire a non-setup Debian VPS (Recommended Debian 7 x86) (http://www.waveride.at is a personal favorite)

Step 2. Download PuTTY (PuTTY Homepage)

Step 3. Download a VNC Viewer (TightVNC is my personal recommendation, use whatever you prefer)

Step 4. SSH into your server, and get to a root prompt (SSH in this case means to connect via PuTTY) (NOTE: YOU MUST BE ROOT)

Step 4a) Open PuTTy, you should see a screen like this 

mo8Mu.png

Step 4b) Enter your Server IP Address into the box that says Host Name (Or IP Address)
Step 4c) Enter your server login details and you're done

Step 5. If you don't care to learn anything, and you really just want the server setup and done with, go ahead and run this command 

(32 Bit)

apt-get update && apt-get install -y sudo wget && wget --no-check-cert 'https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81527571/Debian%207%20(32%20Bit)/install32.sh'&& chmod +x install32.sh && ./install32.sh 

(64 Bit)

apt-get update && apt-get install -y sudo wget && wget --no-check-cert 'https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81527571/Debian%207%20(64%20bit)/install64.sh'&& chmod +x install64.sh && ./install64.sh 

The command above installs sudo and wget (Installed by default in Debian 7.0+), downloads the install bash script from my Dropbox, gives the script run permissions, and then runs the script.

If you'd like to view the script before running it (which you should): 32 Bit 64 Bit

Step 6. When the script starts, it will prompt you for the following information: Hit enter after entering your information for each question

What would you like your user account to be named? Must be lowercase

This is going to be the name of the account you will be using from now on, as root logins will be disabled (over ssh, you can connect as this account and then switch to root afterwards, just not directly connect as root). Just type in the name of your account in all lowercase, for example bots

What port would you like to use to ssh to your server?

This port is the port used when you use PuTTy to access your server, the default is 22, please change it from 22 to make your server more secure. I recommend something kinda random, such as 6754. Again, just type in your port number of choice

What port would you like to use to vnc to your server? 

The default port for this is 5901, if you want to continue with that port type in 5901 or type in any other port of your choice.

What would you like your ssh password to be?

This is the password of the new account the script will create, type in whatever you want your password to be, you must enter a value

What would you like your vnc password to be?

This is the password used when you vnc to your server, it can be anything but you must enter a value

Step 7. Now that the information is entered you can sit back and relax, and the script will do the rest. When it finishes, you can go ahead and VNC into your server and run your favorite botting client :)

For anyone you doesn't care what the script does, this tutorial is finished! Please feel free to spread some love for the time I spent writing this tutorial, and perfecting the script :)

For the advanced users, or anyone who isn't just going to run something that I claim is safe, read on and I'll walk you through every command, well most of 'em

Command Explanation

apt-get update - This command checks the repositories included, for any updates to the Debian software, and updates them automatically

apt-get -y install sudo wget nano - This command is slightly redundant, and I just noticed it. Anyways, I'm not fixing it because there's no harm here, but this command installs: sudo (Allows other users to run things as root) wget (allows you to download things from the internet, via bash) nano (A nice bash text editor, which is merely my preferred option over vi [the default bash editor])

sed -i "s/Port 22/Port $sshport/g" /etc/ssh/sshd_config - Replaces the phrase Port 22 with the port inputted at the beginning of the tutorial, if you're running this by copying and pasting each command, replace $sshport with your port of choice. Or, use nano or vi to edit the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change the port there         

echo "AllowUsers $name" >> /etc/ssh/sshd_config - Adds the user account inputted in the being to the list of users allowed to connect via ssh replace $name with your user account name, if you're doing this yourself

sed -i "s/PermitRootLogin no/PermitRootLogin yes/g" /etc/ssh/sshd_config - Turns root logins off by replacing the line, skip this if you don't want to turn off root logins

chmod 600 sshd_config - Assigns the correct permissions to sshd_config, this command is also unnecessary as of now.

service ssh restart - Restarts the ssh service to make the changes take effect, this will not close your connection

apt-get -y install xorg lxde tightvncserver - Installs Xorg a LXDE component, LXDE a lightweight desktop environment and TightVNC Server, which will allow you to use VNC to connect to your server

sudo adduser $name --gecos "First Last,RoomNumber,WorkPhone,HomePhone" --disabled-password - Adds a user account without a password, if doing this yourself, replaces $name with your desired name

echo "$name:$sshpassword" | sudo chpasswd - Changes the password of the account just created, replace $name with the account name, and $sshpassword with the desired password

sudo adduser $name sudo - Adds the created user to the sudo user group, which will allow it to run commands as root, replace $name with your desired account name

mkdir /home/$name/.vnc - Creates the .vnc directory

echo $vncpassword >/home/$name/.vnc/file - Writes the vncpassword to a file, change $vncpassword with the desired password

vncpasswd -f </home/$name/.vnc/file >/home/$name/.vnc/passwd - Creates the password file used by the vnc server, and writes the password

chown $name /home/$name/.vnc - Changes ownership of file to the user you created

chgrp $name /home/$name/.vnc - Changes the group of the file to the user you created

su - $name -c "vncserver" - Runs vncserver as the created user

su - $name -c "vncserver -kill :1" - Kills the vncserver process as the created user

All the curl and wget commands are used to download the popular botting clients, and OSBuddy, places them in a created folder

echo deb commands are used to add repositories to Debian to download java (Google Debian JDK8 webupd8 for more details)

apt-key gives the server the proper key to connect to the repositories

echo oracle allows the script to auto accept the java license agreement

chmod 777 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/lib/security/java.policy - Gives permission to policy file for LG

The rest of the commands install firefox, allow the Java Runtime to be seen, create the tightvnc service (so it autostarts) and modify the vncport.

If you genuinely have questions, hit me up on Skype: HiFluffee

Update January 19th, 2016: Updated both sh files to disable root logins properly, had a mistake in the code. The script also converts any capital letters in the account name to lowercase. If capitals are present the account doesn't get created.
Update February 29th, 2016: Fixed the sh files to allow automatically allow connections via VNC to a custom port on reboot of the server.
Update: March 2nd, 2016: Now automates keyboard, character and encoding selection
Update: March 6th, 2016: Automatically picks Java to open Jar files, and removes Screensaver
Update August 20th, 2016: The script now installs TightVNC 1.3.9.10 which fixes the VNC crashing error when too many programs are opened at once.

Edited by iFluffee
8 people like this

Awesome guide :) which version of debian are you using in the screenshots?

Awesome guide :) which version of debian are you using in the screenshots?

Debian 7.9 32 Bit, and thanks :)

Great tutorial and a great contribution to the forums! 

Edited by iFluffee

Mind pasting a code formatted version of the command script cant copy and paste it very well from the format youve put it in ;)

Mind pasting a code formatted version of the command script cant copy and paste it very well from the format youve put it in ;)

I'm not really sure what you're looking for, the only version I have is what's on my dropbox :/

I don't know if that helps or not?

Sorry worded it pretty poorly what I meant is a copy of the command to run like

apt-get install -y sudo wget && wget --no-check-cert 'https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81527571/Debian%207.0%20and%208.1%20(32%20Bit)/install32.sh%27'&& chmod +x install32.sh && ./install32.sh

because quotes chop off the link. Also the 32 bit sh file returns a 404 :(

Sorry worded it pretty poorly what I meant is a copy of the command to run like

apt-get install -y sudo wget && wget --no-check-cert 'https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81527571/Debian%207.0%20and%208.1%20(32%20Bit)/install32.sh%27'&& chmod +x install32.sh && ./install32.sh

because quotes chop off the link. Also the 32 bit sh file returns a 404 :(

Fixed it, should work now :)

Did this and I am no longer able to connect to my SSH, remote control or anything else :( I am not sure what I did wrong, I accidently chose a username with an uppercase letter tho, maybe that's what causes the problem? Please help me out! 

Did this and I am no longer able to connect to my SSH, remote control or anything else :( I am not sure what I did wrong, I accidently chose a username with an uppercase letter tho, maybe that's what causes the problem? Please help me out! 

That would cause the problem, when logging in via SSH, make sure you enter your username in all lowercase. Also make sure you're using the correct port

If you still can't figure it out, add my Skype!

Edited by iFluffee

@iFluffee Really good guide, makes set up very easy. How good are waverider's vps's? I was thinking about buying the 4gb one to test them out (I'm hoping it is capable of running atleast 4 bots)

@iFluffee Really good guide, makes set up very easy. How good are waverider's vps's? I was thinking about buying the 4gb one to test them out (I'm hoping it is capable of running atleast 4 bots)

I can't really say for certain, it's been a long time since I bought a server from them. However, with their low cost, you wouldn't be losing much by trying it

I got Xubuntu running on my dedicated server. Whenever i open tribot it runs super slow even though I definitely have enough RAM for it. I have 64gb and Im running JAVA 8. Any idea what the issue could be?

Edited by drp3pperz

I got Kubuntu running on my dedicated server. Whenever i open tribot it runs super slow even though I definitely have enough RAM for it. I have 64gb and Im running JAVA 8. Any idea what the issue could be?

I haven't use Kubuntu in a long time, however if you want to add my Skype I can do my best to help? :)

I figured it out. It was some sort of Java issue with the vncviewer I was using. Apaarently x2go has some sort of bug with java 8 which was causing the slow downs.

I figured it out. It was some sort of Java issue with the vncviewer I was using. Apaarently x2go has some sort of bug with java 8 which was causing the slow downs.

Glad you got it figured out :)

Hey @ifluffee 

If you were me, how would you jump into linux based programming and networks. Noob looking to improve.

Also, your script here is like butter.

Edited by needafriend

Hey @ifluffee 

If you were me, how would you jump into linux based programming and networks. Noob looking to improve.

Also, your script here is like butter.

I don't actually know where to direct you, I don't know a heck of a lot I kinda just find things I want to figure out then go learn about them. At the moment, my current battle is getting Open NAT and VPN working for my Xbox, via a DD-WRT router.

I learned how to setup servers by just googling most of the stuff I wanted to know, and just messing about until it worked, I don't know if that helps?

Thanks though, glad you liked it! :)

@iFluffee

I can give you a hand with your NAT+VPN if you need it.

Amazing script.

I haven't tested this, but I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 with LXDE-core installed.

I set up my VMS last week.. Wish I saw this script then.

It took me a while to work out how to get xllvnc to autostart.

Since it's built for Debian, I'll assume this will work for Ubuntu server also? I might give it a run next server install. (I'd assume only repos would be different if anything)

@iFluffee

I can give you a hand with your NAT+VPN if you need it.

Amazing script.

I haven't tested this, but I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 with LXDE-core installed.

I set up my VMS last week.. Wish I saw this script then.

It took me a while to work out how to get xllvnc to autostart.

Since it's built for Debian, I'll assume this will work for Ubuntu server also? I might give it a run next server install. (I'd assume only repos would be different if anything)

Figured it out actually, had an out of date DD-WRT build

And I would assume it would, let me know if it doesn't though, I'm sure I can probably modify it to fit Ubuntu

After running this script and restarting my server. When I try to connect to my vps using ThightVNC I get this error "error in tightvnc viewer no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it". I'm using the correct port that I choose while the script was running.

This is what it looks like

https://gyazo.com/fa2c3a42d44e2c9f57d31daaa54b2b4f

Oh and this is what I get when I type vncserver in puty

450d394584ce909ec04f84697dd2c9ba.png
https://gyazo.com/450d394584ce909ec04f84697dd2c9ba

Edit: I figured it out. The VNC server wasn't started. And instead of saying 

' vncserver, I had to type 'sudo vncserver'.

Edited by lil 0mfg0rz

Works perfectly ! Thank you very much.

I also like how OSBuddy.Jar is in the bot folder. Kappa