Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sphiinx

Sphiinx's Scripter Application

Application Poll   16 members have voted

1. 1. Does Sphiinx deserve the Scripter rank?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

1) Snippets: [sOURCE] (Link to thread)

• N/A

2) Tutorials: [sOURCE] (Link to thread)

• Conditional Sleeping
  • Tribot Rank & Title List (Not sure if this should be here)

3) Randoms/updates submitted: [sOURCE] (Link to thread)

• N/A

4) Scripts available to the public: [sOURCE] (Link to thread)

5) Short biography / Coding Experience: [1-2 short paragraphs]

• Hello! My name is Sphiinx. I am currently a high school Senior from Idaho. I have been programming for a few years now but I recently decided to learn Java to to get ahead of others, continue learning and do what I love. This year I will be enrolled at Boise State University studying for a Bachelors in Computer Science. I am very passionate about programming as it is something I love very much and I see myself doing for the rest of my life. Its incredible the feeling I get when I create something spectacular that can benefit not only me but others as well. It has taught me so many valuable life lessons that I can pass onto other generations to come.

• I enjoy interacting with others who enjoy the same things I do. I see a lot of people who are honestly in this community for their own personal gain to make money. Personally I don't see that fit as I like interacting with the community and programming for the great experience and learning it has to offer. Everyday I am in the Teamspeak of @warfront1 talking to other programmers who have lots of life experience and college degrees for hours on end. The value of the information they have given me from their personal experience and life experience has been incredible and is honestly priceless.

• I have been programming for a few years and have extensive knowledge in HTML, CSS, Javascript and PHP. Last year I won 1st place at the Business Professionals of America state competition for Website Design Team in Boise, Idaho. While going to nationals after that I took 6th place at the Business Professionals of America national competition for Website Design Team in Anaheim, California. This year I am currently going to the State Competition for Website Design Team between March 10th-12th and hopefully nationals in Boston Massachusetts after that.

6) Reasons why you feel you deserve Scripter: [1-3 short paragraphs]

• I believe that I can provide and uphold quality scripts for the Tribot community. Programming is a passion of mine and I believe we always have to continue learning. I love interacting with the community and this gives me more opportunity to make users happy. I have been apart of this community for almost a year now. It's amazing how much I have learned and I feel that it is my time to give back.

7) What you plan to provide the community with: [1-3 short Paragraphs]

• I plan to continue to support the community with quality updated scripts that we can all benefit from. Including that I hope to be able to support anyone who is in need with the information I can provide. I have contributed to this community with my experience and expertise for almost a year now and I plan to continue that. I try to keep my scripts as clean as possible for anyone to understand, learn from, and benefit from.

8) Do you agree to continue to not only update, but provide more free, open sourced scripts to the community? [YES/NO]

• Of course!

9) Responses to replies:

• USA
    • Redundant Code - I use a lot of classes for OO Java, I see what you mean about combining things that are the same or similar in fashion though.
    • SPXCowKiller Looping - I changed this to what you said, can you take another look?
  • Assume
    • Any reason why you said "nah" so I can improve?
  • Encoded/xCode
    • I believe I did implement full ABCL10 in my AIO Planker script in my ABCL class. I implemented everything that applied to the script and calculated it according to TRiLeZ's documentation and it came out to ABCL10. Do you mind taking another look?

Edited by iFluffee
7 people like this

SPX AIO Cooker

DepositItems / WithdrawItems

Not necessary to have two classes with the same functions, you have redundant code. Maybe move them to a Banking Class where the node is validated on,

return Inventory.getCount(vars.foodId) <= 0;

CookFoodOnFire / CookFoodOnStove WalkToFire / WalkToStove

Same here, redundant code.

Use an Enum of Type CookingObject for Fire(String name) / Stove(String name) and call your methods on those types.

SPXAIOPlanker

Same here, redundant code just use a class Bank within your framework.

SPXCowKiller

RSNPC[] cows = NPCs.findNearest("Cow");        for (final RSNPC cow : cows) {            if (!cow.isInCombat()) {

Instead of looping through each cow, use a filter and use that array of RSNPC.

private RSNPC[] getCows() {		return NPCs.findNearest(new Filter<RSNPC>() {			public boolean accept(RSNPC npc) {				String name = npc.getName();				if (name == null || !name.equalsIgnoreCase("Cow"))					return false;				return !npc.isInCombat();			}		});			}

Overall not too bad, limited use of ABCL but nothing looked too out of order.

I will omit my vote for this application pending comments from the Scripters.

1 person likes this

nah

edit: you asked my reason

Everything you wrote would take a scripter no more than 5 minutes start to finish. None of it is impressive nor good enough for a scripter application. 

Edited by Assume

I’d like to personally thank @Sphiinx for his help on my programming/botting oriented teamspeak.

One thing that has impressed me about Sphiinx is that he has taken it upon himself to help other members of the teamspeak with their programming issues.

Sphiinx is able to identify issues that others are having, and help draft a path to resolution.

Sphiinx, although being a very young developer, has key traits that set him up on a path for success.

He has a fire inside him driving him to retain as much information as possible.

Sphiinx is certainly retaining information at such a rapid rate, that I’m personally excited to see where he will grow within the new year.

If we isolate Sphiinx at this point in time, I think we can all agree he has the know how to create and maintain free content for the community.

A few more months of refining, and releasing free content, I believe Sphiinx could make a significant difference in our community.

If I had one take away for Sphiinx it would be to continue keeping your mind open,

and retaining as much information as possible.

Don’t shut yourself out to different ideas, and never lose the desire to continue your education.

There is no end to learning when it comes to programming.

Exposing yourself to other’s ideas can only strengthen your own skill set.

Best,
Warfront1

Edited by warfront1
5 people like this

Couldn't agree with @warfront1 more.

From my discussions with @Sphiinx , I've found that he is a pretty quick learner with a certain drive to want to do things correctly. Whenever he asks questions, he always seems to take the response to heart and actually learn from it.

I believe this to be a very positive and important quality, that you don't see too often with aspiring programmers. I also feel that he'll contribute some fantastic content to the community in the near future.

I'm torn between yes & no on this application. I'd have to agree with @Assume in that I would've liked to see something more complex and involved. Not necessarily just in script concept, but also in design that shows a more intimate relationship with Java.

With that said, I also know his knowledge is right on the cusp, if not already enough, to be a competent script writer.

I will omit my vote due to the above reasons, but leave this post with the hope that this feedback assists with the process.

1 person likes this

I've been talking to @Sphiinx since he started learning Java (which was the beginning of july, 2015).

A lot I have to say about him is already mentioned by @Final_Calibur and @warfront1, so I'll keep it short about him as a very motivated person.

Let's talk code-wise:

I must say that what you are able to produce in 6 months of learning is pretty good. You use nice structuring of code and put dependancies where they should be.

What I also like, and I mention this at almost every application I review, is that you use proper checking of booleans returned by functions.

There are some tips and tricks you should use as @Usa mentioned (like using Filters, etc.). So checking the API documentation once in a while for things like this might help.

I therefore have to agree with @Assume that the complexity of the scripts you wrote is not that high. I don't think this should matter that much since you showed that you are capable of writing a decent AIO script, so I'm very interested in what you might think of when you apply for Premium Scripter.

Another thing (which is not mandatory tho) is that none of your scripts have ABCL10 implemented, which is not really that hard and would prevent a lot of bans for community-members that use your scripts. So this is something you might wanna implement in your scripts.

Conclusion:

I think you are a very motivated person in general and you have learned a lot the past 6 months. Your code looks decent and I will therefore vote yes, on condition that you will keep the feedback from us in mind and use it in your current/future scripts.

1 person likes this

Another thing (which is not mandatory tho) is that none of your scripts have ABCL10 implemented

It's actually a requirement to have at least one script that implements ABCL10.

1 person likes this

It's actually a requirement to have at least one script that implements ABCL10.

My bad.

"At least 1 of the Scripts must demonstrate full ABCL10 implementation."

Thought I read in another application that it was not mandatory.

Edit: Seems like his scripts do have ABCL10 implemented.

It just seemed like it didn't, because the only if-statement used in combination with ABC, was for run-energy.

A yes from me.

Edited by xCode
1 person likes this

SPX AIO Cooker

Not necessary to have two classes with the same functions, you have redundant code. Maybe move them to a Banking Class where the node is validated on,

return Inventory.getCount(vars.foodId) <= 0;

CookFoodOnFire / CookFoodOnStove WalkToFire / WalkToStove

Same here, redundant code.

Use an Enum of Type CookingObject for Fire(String name) / Stove(String name) and call your methods on those types.

SPXAIOPlanker

Same here, redundant code just use a class Bank within your framework.

SPXCowKiller

RSNPC[] cows = NPCs.findNearest("Cow");        for (final RSNPC cow : cows) {            if (!cow.isInCombat()) {

Instead of looping through each cow, use a filter and use that array of RSNPC.

private RSNPC[] getCows() {		return NPCs.findNearest(new Filter<RSNPC>() {			public boolean accept(RSNPC npc) {				String name = npc.getName();				if (name == null || !name.equalsIgnoreCase("Cow"))					return false;				return !npc.isInCombat();			}		});			}

Overall not too bad, limited use of ABCL but nothing looked too out of order.

I will omit my vote for this application pending comments from the Scripters.

The code is not pointlessly redundant. In fact it's quite the opposite. Creating methods that do a lot of things at once is not correct and will confuse people. Imagine that Sphiinx is writing the banking API for other people to use and someone sees the method called "openBank()". They think "awesome, my character will open the bank when I call this method", but then they test it out and see that the openBank() method also deposits items. They would be incredibly confused because it doesn't make sense for that method to do both of those things.

On top of that, creating different nodes for each thing related to banking like depositing, opening the bank, closing it etc gives you the most control possible.

edit: I might have mis-read what you were saying, I didn't realize you were talking about methods that do the same thing in multiple places.

I vote yes. While you have a good amount to improve on, it is clear that you have a growing grasp on the TRiBot api and I see some things in your code that I wouldn't expect novice/beginner scripters to know how to do like accessing the script manifest.

Edited by Starfox
1 person likes this

I voted yes, hopefully you keep progressing and don't become the next peticca.

3 people like this

Adding on to the positive comments, I still remember in the early days when you were trying to learn to script. I used to help you out a bit cos I knew you was interested in learning. I believe you will do your best to fulfil your duties as a scripter and both parties, tribot and yourself, would benefit from you being a scripter so its a yes from me :).

You've still got a long way to go so keep it up. 

2 people like this

I believe you will continue to improve and that's what we are really looking for here.

Welcome to the team.

4 people like this