Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Purple

Purple's Scripter Application v2

Should I receive the rank of scripter?   14 members have voted

1. 1. Should I receive the rank of scripter?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 posts in this topic

1) Snipplets
Delta Timing

Pause Timer

2) Tutorials
Alternative loop tutorial

4) Scripts available to the public
pFisher AIO 

Blast Furnace Starter

Castle Wars AFKer

Rogue's Den Wall Safes

Edited by Purple
added poll
1 person likes this

I'd say you have the knowledge to be script writer, I just wish you would've waited a bit longer before posting your application.

Either way, I voted yes.

1 person likes this

No, your code is too convoluted. Try to keep methods below 15 lines, and those nested ifs are disgusting.

I'm voting no. It's clear that you understand how to structure your code for the most part, but there are many areas where exceptions can be thrown. For example:

private RSNPC[] getNearestFish() {     return NPCs.findNearest(new Filter<RSNPC>() {        @Override        public boolean accept(RSNPC rsnpc) {            return rsnpc.getName().equals(getFish().getNpcName()) && containsActions(rsnpc.getActions(), getFish().getNpcActions()) && WalkingUtil.canReach(rsnpc.getPosition());        }    });}

This is just the first class that I happened to click on. That method can throw a NPE in a variety of locations.

Also, your code seems to rely very heavily on nested if-statements. This can make updating/improving code later on much more difficult, and debugging will also be a pain as well. I'd work on simplifying your code and making it more neat. It will take you longer while you're writing it, but it will save you time in the long term.

Edited by TacoManStan

Yes from me.

It is clear that you have the capability that a scripter should have.

Edited by Starfox

Purple and I have been great friends over the past few years (wow going on 3-4 years at this point). He has always been a very humble member of the Runescape cheating community, so allow me to add some color to purple (pun not intended).

Let me first point out that purple actually was a Scripter prior to nearly all of our current scripting staff. He has also deved at two other bots, as well as maintains his own private client (for personal use only). Purple has deep knowledge of the inner workings of the client. I believe his work over the past years on both RuneScape and RuneScape 2007 speaks for itself. It is undeniable that he has the know-how to take a bot from start to finish with great success.

One thing I would like to publically acknowledge is Purple’s dedication, and support on my Programming focused Teamspeak. Purple has assisted numerous individuals with programming issues/help. Be it a student with a few hours to learn a beginner concept, or an experienced bot developer, Purple always has something positive to add. It is truly impressive to see someone act so selflessly in assisting individuals in return for absolutely no monetary gain. Simply put, purple loves the Runescape cheating community, and is clearly passionate about programming.

No, your code is too convoluted. Try to keep methods below 15 lines, and those nested ifs are disgusting.

@Assume , could you please provide a credible source stating that 15 lines or less is the appropriate length for method size?

Perhaps we should notify Oracle of this best practice, as numerous parts of the Core API run over 15 lines.

Warfront1

Edited by warfront1
4 people like this

Purple and I have been great friends over the past few years (wow going on 3-4 years at this point). He has always been a very humble member of the Runescape cheating community, so allow me to add some color to purple (pun not intended).

Let me first point out that purple actually was a Scripter prior to nearly all of our current scripting staff. He has also deved at two other bots, as well as maintains his own private client (for personal use only). Purple has deep knowledge of the inner workings of the client. I believe his work over the past years on both RuneScape and RuneScape 2007 speaks for itself. It is undeniable that he has the know-how to take a bot from start to finish with great success.

One thing I would like to publically acknowledge is Purple’s dedication, and support on my Programming focused Teamspeak. Purple has assisted numerous individuals with programming issues/help. Be it a student with a few hours to learn a beginner concept, or an experienced bot developer, Purple always has something positive to add. It is truly impressive to see someone act so selflessly in assisting individuals in return for absolutely no monetary gain. Simply put, purple loves the Runescape cheating community, and is clearly passionate about programming.

@Assume , could you please provide a credible source stating that 15 lines or less is the appropriate length for method size?

Perhaps we should notify Oracle of this best practice, as numerous parts of the Core API run over 15 lines.

Warfront1

http://www.javacodegeeks.com/2012/12/rule-of-30-when-is-a-method-class-or-subsystem-too-big.html

I had heard 15 before which is why I said it, but I guess the general consensus is 30.

Edited by Assume
1 person likes this

In response to your response, yes, I am aware of this, and I also know the difference between an empty array and a null array. That's not what I was saying. Unless things have changed as far as the structure of the API, the only the value returned by the Filter is guaranteed to not be null. rsnpc#getName() and rsnpc#getPosition() can both return null. It's also typically good practice to null-check things before passing them into a method rather than null-checking in the method (it makes debugging easier later on), but that's not something I'd say is required to be a scripter.

The only other thing I'd have to say is more of a recommendation than anything. It's a good idea to limit the length of your code as much as you can, but not so much that it sacrifices readability. The snippet I posted previously is something that seems to be something of a pattern in your code, where you cram a string of methods into one line of code. This is also something that is typically bad practice, but is definitely a gray area, so I won't comment further on it.

The fact that you responded to both sets of feedback from both me and Assume with defensive comments is also somewhat concerning. From me it's still a no.

I like that you make use of lambdas. I like that you use github and not pastebin, shows some level of professionalism. I like that you make use of ABC but why not just use #abcUtil.performTimedActions instead of single-handedly performing each individual action?

I don't like that your scripts are too fresh, we have no idea what users actually think, your attitude towards users etc.

About current feedback.

Indeed you do not null check definition and names. And sometimes if you do, you do it incorrectly.

rsObject.getDefinition() != null && rsObject.getDefinition().getName().equals("Tunnel");

I know those are a pain to do but it needs to be done, given that this is like the only thing Trilez talked about in his tutorial.

Taco is totally right about your attitude. He pointed out possible null check errors, you failed to see his point and lashed out in defensive manner. 1-3 paragraphs are, in your case, 1-3 sentences. Reading this I felt like "I've been here before, i am back, give me my scripter, now.", to illustrate my point.

Generally tho. I do not find anything wrong with your code, it even feels "clean" which is rare enough for scripter applications. I don't think the aforementioned is enough to deny scripter rank.

Also the first snippet link is broken, points to your user profile.

1 person likes this

Edit: It feels as if you guys have some biased opinion about me being a scripter. All 3 of you posted a response within 5 minutes of each other, which is a little weird, since this thread has been up for almost 24 hours without a response.

We tend to discuss scripter applications in the scripter group chat to make sure we don't miss anything before posting. The time between posts has nothing to do with bias. 

Stop taking it so personal. It's controversial because you make it so. You are given a clear set of feedback: 1) exceptions can be thrown in multiple parts of the code 2) scripts are too fresh, there is no user feedback. If I would receive this feedback I would fix the code and be done with it, instead of just trying to talk my way out of it. As for user feedback there is nothing you could do except maybe encouraging users to leave feedback.

You say that you can maintain and write a perfect script that works good (I believe you) and in the next sentence say that you do not have the required time to make a proper script?!? Honestly, you need to drop your ego, it would take you 2 hours while watching TV to add null checks to your code and be done with it. 

4 people like this

I never received a PM back regarding our last conversation and it isn't clear what your intentions really are. I'm closing this application.