Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IceKontroI

From document to Excel Sheet

5 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm trying to streamline a progress tracker in Excel. I know this isn't really programming but this was the most relevant section I could find. I'm using the Tau G E script which flip items in the G E for me and I want to keep track of which items do well so I can compare them and become more efficient. I can create a series of .rep documents (can be read with notepad etc) that contain the information I want to use in the spreadsheet and so far I've been manually adding the information myself but this takes some time as I have several bots to account for and am planning to add more.

The basic process I want to automate is:

1) I manually generate a report that appears in a folder on my desktop (I doubt I can automate this part). This folder contains 1 .txt document per item with information regarding how much money they make per hour. let's say I have 4 items and I am generating reports over a period of 7 days. I will have 28 text documents, 7 for each of 4 items. The file name format is: Abyssal whip_1.rep.

2) Here's where the automation comes into effect. I need to be able to group all the "Abyssal whip" files together and then take the number value found on line 5 (for example this has 5.21) and add them to a list. Then I will have excel use the AVERAGE(5.21,5.67,7.81,4.41) function to calculate the mean of all these values which will give me an accurate read on how much I can expect to make per hour for that particular item but the number values won't be hardcoded, they will be taken from a website and then added dynamically to function: AVERAGE(list of whip numbers).

Now I have a decent idea of how to scrape info from a website but I don't know if you can do it from files on your computer, and I don't know how to do it with lists. If I can't read directly from the documents, I would need to upload the info to a website of my own (could it be local or does it have to be public) with an FTP and display the information in an easy to read way that will allow me to track the progress in the Excel sheet.

Is this overcomplicated? I feel like it would be very useful, especially since once I understand the concept I could expand it to calculate other useful pieces of info like average sales per hour, average profit margin, highest/lowest daily profit, etc.

It shouldn't be this complicated. If you want to calculate your profit, you should do it once daily. Especially with Tau GE since it takes a long time to produce profit (selling the remaining items to be accurate). I personally document my daily profit everyday and put them into Excel manually. It saves a lot more time than what you're trying too do. On average it takes me around 30 minutes to account for all my accounts. 

Also Tau GE has a detailed report of how well the item is doing already, you should use this instead of trying what you're doing.

It shouldn't be this complicated. If you want to calculate your profit, you should do it once daily. Especially with Tau GE since it takes a long time to produce profit (selling the remaining items to be accurate). I personally document my daily profit everyday and put them into Excel manually. It saves a lot more time than what you're trying too do. On average it takes me around 30 minutes to account for all my accounts. 

Also Tau GE has a detailed report of how well the item is doing already, you should use this instead of trying what you're doing.

Well I'm using that detailed report, but I want to keep a record of all that info without having to manually do it myself. I'm currently recording just the average gold per hour of each item by hand, but if I wanted to record the quantity of sales during different periods of the week or track the margins of items over time it begins to get much more time consuming. I'm sure there's a way to do this, and I'm looking into it right now but I was just putting this out there in the hopes that someone with experience could point me in the right direction or start me off.

I'm just looking for automated information processing from text documents and transferring the information to a readable source for Excel.

Well I'm using that detailed report, but I want to keep a record of all that info without having to manually do it myself. I'm currently recording just the average gold per hour of each item by hand, but if I wanted to record the quantity of sales during different periods of the week or track the margins of items over time it begins to get much more time consuming. I'm sure there's a way to do this, and I'm looking into it right now but I was just putting this out there in the hopes that someone with experience could point me in the right direction or start me off.

I'm just looking for automated information processing from text documents and transferring the information to a readable source for Excel.

Sure it will work but is it needed? Probably not. I can get better results by using a full list and documenting the profit of the list, rather than the item. Saves a lot of time which can be spent expanding. 

Best of luck with Tau GE. 

Sure it will work but is it needed? Probably not. I can get better results by using a full list and documenting the profit of the list, rather than the item. Saves a lot of time which can be spent expanding. 

Best of luck with Tau GE. 

I want to do complex things with this information, but I'm not going to spend an hour every day being my own secretary. If you won't help me then I'll find a way myself.