Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

laniax

AdvancedWalking - next gen navmesh pathfinder/walker. [Source]

61 posts in this topic

Have you posted it on github? I would be really interested to look through it. Also let me know if you need any help, sounds like a fun project.

Any updates for this?

I hope that you have not abandoned this project yet?

Do not worry, it is still in active development. Although i have decided to try a technique i was at first hesistant to do (due to its complexity).

I am converting the project from a rectangle based mesh to a 2D convex polytope approach, not only for reduced number of meshobjects, but also better generation of the links and much faster pathfinding.

Currently a outer polygon is generated and a delaunay-based triangulation algorithm will generate the actual convex polygons, which then a path could be calculated upon.

So in short: yeah im still working on it.

7 people like this

Do not worry, it is still in active development. Although i have decided to try a technique i was at first hesistant to do (due to its complexity).

I am converting the project from a rectangle based mesh to a 2D convex polytope approach, not only for reduced number of meshobjects, but also better generation of the links and much faster pathfinding.

Currently a outer polygon is generated and a delaunay-based triangulation algorithm will generate the actual convex polygons, which then a path could be calculated upon.

So in short: yeah im still working on it.

Any ETA on this? This looks amazing, please do not give up. @laniax

@laniax Any ETA on this? This looks amazing, please do not give up.

Still working on it, no intention of giving up ;) can't give an ETA yet though, still trying to overcome some hurdles.

Mainly optimizing my mesh and sorting the areas so the branch prediction is optimized. 

Alright, i finally 'finished' the rewrite to the polygon approach. I completely dropped the 'link' objects, and it simply keeps track of its adjacent polygons which are not blocked now, and the shear number of objects has gone down considerably. It doesn't generate completely perfect paths yet though, as sometimes the cost calculation can be a bit off. So consider it very much an alpha/WIP. But i figured i owed you guys some results, so i uploaded a demo to the repository so you guys can sort of play around with it. It's purely a pathfinder right now, so it doesn't walk or handle doors or anything. Neither does it have stair/teleport/agility support yet, since that system is still in the works. But it sort of gives the idea.

How it works:

If you start the script a GUI will pop up. You dont have to do anything with it yet, just run around in game first to map the local region, each time the client loads in more tiles the counter in the bottom left of the viewport increases. When you feel like you want to try it out, you click 'Build NavMesh', the client will then convert the tiles you scanned into polygons, this might lag a bit and might take a bit long depending on how many tiles you mapped. When it's done you can input the coords to a tile and find a path which will be drawn in the viewport and minimap. While i haven't really refactored the code for performance yet, it also displays how long DPathNavigator would do about the same path.

Things to note:

• It sort of relies on runescape's pathfinding to run around small stuff, which is how the average player runs as well.
  • As i stated above, i haven't really went into performance optimizations yet.
  • In the final release, you obviously won't have to map the region yourselves. I will make a mesh of the entire world which the script will download.
  • I'd be happy to explain it further if you have any questions and please contact me if you have/find any issues.
  • I will update the demo with new features as they come, when i feel the code is ready to be open sourced, i will upload it to github.

You can find it on the repo

Edited by laniax
7 people like this

After yet another code iteration, the source code is now available on github.

Note that it is still very much a WIP, and i left some very unstable files out for now. But here it is :) Also, some code is unit tested, a large part is not, those are things i work on when i feel like i have the time for it, main features take priority.

Let me know what you guys think!

2 people like this

It's really bad how long I've been waiting for this, Jesus.

The amount of time I spend trying to swap walking algorithms in and out is too much, I need this in my life.

Edited by Liam.

[15:42:50] [iOExtensions] Error deserializing  object to file: org.tribot.api2007.types.RSTile; local class incompatible: stream classdesc serialVersionUID = 258832497691791796, local class serialVersionUID = 2849236342639440334.

[15:42:50] [AdvancedWalking] Pathfinder failed to initialize, we will use WebWalking instead.

can you tell me how to fix this problem?