Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Why You Should Spend Time on Your Bug Reports

2 posts in this topic

It might seem like a hassle, but spending time on your bug reports is SO important. The more information you can provide, the better. Try and predict what might be needed, and provide that at the start of the topic before anyone even asks for it.

Here is a perfect example of why you should submit good bug reports. Refer to the following two reports:

Thread #1

Thread #2

Let's start with thread 1. Granted, this was posted in the bot help forum, not as a bug report, which is why I chose it. I don't want to rip on anyone specific, so for the sake of example, let's pretend this was posted as a bug report (many bug reports look like this one).

First, there is almost no information given. A decent screenshot showing the CPU usage and some CPU statistics, but nothing else. No OS, TRiBot version, or any other type of information was given.

This resulted in misleading responses, and people going in circles. Because the thread didn't indicate if he had done any debugging already, or what he's already tried, it resulted in people asking questions that should have had answers posted in the original thread to begin with. This just wasted time.

Now let's look at thread 2. Again, yes, this thread is mine, and no, I am not bragging about my "bug reporting abilities". I am simply stressing how crucial it was that I spent the amount of time on the report that I did.

From the beginning I provided as much information as I could, and put it in an easy-to-read format. In addition to the information requested in the Proper Bug Report guide, I provided other information I thought might be necessary (the heap data). In your report, you might want to provide images (gifs are usually quite helpful) that demonstrate the problem. In this case it wasn't necessary, but you can see an example of where it was necessary (or at least very helpful) in this report.

Moving on through the thread, notice how TRiLeZ was able to ask the questions he needed to right off the bat. He knew that it wasn't a user issue because I made sure to explain all of the steps that I had already taken in an attempt to fix the problem.

If you keep reading, you'll see that TRiLeZ asked for specific thread information, which I then provided here. 30 minutes and a couple more simple questions later, TRiLeZ was able to fix the problem with minimal amounts of searching through code to find the problem.

TLDR: Spend time on your bug reports. The time you take can save the developers easily double or triple the amount of extra time that you spent making your report as informative as it can be.

Not only is this respectful, but it allows the developers to focus on new updates rather than fixing bugs, in the end benefiting everyone.

Edited by tacomanstan
1 person likes this