• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buy OSRS Gold

Sell OSRS Gold
ohParadox

Snowden, hero or traitor?

Array

Honestly, neither. He's not a hero nor a traitor. You cannot become a hero just because you leek information to the public that is supposed to be confidential. You cannot become a traitor for giving out confidential information to your own citizens within the nation. If you're going to be a hero, you're going to need to be saving someones lives daily and/or benefiting peoples lives daily. In order to become a traitor you'll need to be planning/organizing to destroy our nation in some way.

The only terms he has broken is his contract of his ex-job. That needs to be held in the court of law like any other breach of a contract.

But at the end of the day, no one really gives two f***s if our government wants to watch our history in our browsers. We will start to care when our history is published on FaceBook though.

• Like 1

Honestly, neither. He's not a hero nor a traitor. You cannot become a hero just because you leek information to the public that is supposed to be confidential. You cannot become a traitor for giving out confidential information to your own citizens within the nation. If you're going to be a hero, you're going to need to be saving someones lives daily and/or benefiting peoples lives daily. In order to become a traitor you'll need to be planning/organizing to destroy our nation in some way.

The only terms he has broken is his contract of his ex-job. That needs to be held in the court of law like any other breach of a contract.

But at the end of the day, no one really gives two f***s if our government wants to watch our history in our browsers. We will start to care when our history is published on FaceBook though.

Hero might have not been the right word but I would say revealing these programs was well needed. I would label myself a strict-constructionist and personally I don't believe the NSA was within the Constitution with collecting people's communication. 

Thanks for the comment man! Glad to hear your opinion. :)

Hero might have not been the right word but I would say revealing these programs was well needed. I would label myself a strict-constructionist and personally I don't believe the NSA was within the Constitution with collecting people's communication. 

Thanks for the comment man! Glad to hear your opinion. :)

Obviously there will be extremists that really do care about the NSA along with those that would rather listen to Justin Beiber than stuff about the NSA. I would say 80% are more worried about their monthly bills than if the NSA is watching their online activities though. Thus making Snowden, Appelbaum, Anonymous, etc. pretty much irrelevant until it becomes more of an issue.

No problem though man, I love topics like this.

• Like 1

I would lean more towards traitor just because when he leaked information it resulted in death of some United States agents. While he MAY have been releasing information about corruption, that was not the way to do it. Also something funny about this is that he said he also had information on Russia and the Russians Responded "We can not be held responsible for your safety if that information is released" (They where threatening to kill him if he released the info he had on them) So he didn't release the info. 

I would lean more towards traitor just because when he leaked information it resulted in death of some United States agents. While he MAY have been releasing information about corruption, that was not the way to do it. Also something funny about this is that he said he also had information on Russia and the Russians Responded "We can not be held responsible for your safety if that information is released" (They where threatening to kill him if he released the info he had on them) So he didn't release the info. 

But working for a contractor for the government you take an oath to uphold the Constitution. In Snowden's eyes he didn't believe what the NSA was doing was constitutional, therefore why he contacted Glenn Greenwald to reveal what the programs were doing. Any law being proposed you must ask yourself is it constitutional, many Federal judges do not believe the NSA was within the Constitution. Although this won't change much as the Patriot Act still stands which sets up the framework for the data collection. A little off topic but James Clapper even deliberately lied to congress months before the revelations surfaced. Check the video out if you'd like.

Thanks for the comment mate! Glad to see your outlook. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v7YtTnon90

• Like 1

I would say, there are certain things that do not need to be said. Now, you have to way the issues of the release vs non release, and you guys say oh, the government should tell us everything etc etc. Truthfully, you guys DO NOT want to know what goes on, and people claim they do, they do not. It is messed up. The only thing ahead of terrorism on the issue of national security is mass hysteria. People in U.S. and other countries have proven that majority of them cannot handle stresses etc well and that is my mass hysteria is the worst thing of them all. Now with the wire tapping, that is no secret at least to me, I am aware that the CIA has been doing that internationally since 1992, this is not breaking news to anybody in the military or intelligence field. Do I agree with it? No, but majority of the time it does not harm anybody, and if you think the NSA reads all you messages? You are wrong lol, they don't even check, 1% of the data, so your boring life is safe :) But, Snowden lost all credibility to me, when he started leaking blue prints of Embassy, and other leaks that were not breaking the American Constitution and did it for the money, at the expense of possible hurting people with those leaks. He did not do it for a noble cause as he may claim sometimes, because he leaked so much stuff that wasn't illegal and could possibly hurt americans or allies for money, So yes, he is a traitor. 

P.S. I am not american, but an ally :)

• Like 1

I would say, there are certain things that do not need to be said. Now, you have to way the issues of the release vs non release, and you guys say oh, the government should tell us everything etc etc. Truthfully, you guys DO NOT want to know what goes on, and people claim they do, they do not. It is messed up. The only thing ahead of terrorism on the issue of national security is mass hysteria. People in U.S. and other countries have proven that majority of them cannot handle stresses etc well and that is my mass hysteria is the worst thing of them all. Now with the wire tapping, that is no secret at least to me, I am aware that the CIA has been doing that internationally since 1992, this is not breaking news to anybody in the military or intelligence field. Do I agree with it? No, but majority of the time it does not harm anybody, and if you think the NSA reads all you messages? You are wrong lol, they don't even check, 1% of the data, so your boring life is safe :) But, Snowden lost all credibility to me, when he started leaking blue prints of Embassy, and other leaks that were not breaking the American Constitution and did it for the money, at the expense of possible hurting people with those leaks. He did not do it for a noble cause as he may claim sometimes, because he leaked so much stuff that wasn't illegal and could possibly hurt americans or allies for money, So yes, he is a traitor. 

P.S. I am not american, but an ally :)

Although Snowden did not leak embassy blue prints to the general public, he does indeed have them but he also possesses roughly 1.7 million estimated documents so that is no surprise. :D

The majority of Snowden's revelations were educating everyday people about governmental surveillance. I personally believe everyone has the right to privacy regardless the situation or country. I think the government's excuse for data collection is dangerous and proposing the Constitution no longer applies. Also not to mention the Founding Fathers weren't intending for the institution they created to expand this far into people's lives. By the way, the NSA does not have to read our personal information to be violating the Fourth Amendment, it's an illegal seizure.  

Thanks for your comment man! Good talking with you, glad we could stimulate thought on both ends.  :shy:

Although Snowden did not leak embassy blue prints to the general public, he does indeed have them but he also possesses roughly 1.7 million estimated documents so that is no surprise. :D

The majority of Snowden's revelations were educating everyday people about governmental surveillance. I personally believe everyone has the right to privacy regardless the situation or country. I think the government's excuse for data collection is dangerous and proposing the Constitution no longer applies. Also not to mention the Founding Fathers weren't intending for the institution they created to expand this far into people's lives. By the way, the NSA does not have to read our personal information to be violating the Fourth Amendment, it's an illegal seizure.  

Thanks for your comment man! Good talking with you, glad we could stimulate thought on both ends.  :shy:

Ahh, that is true :) But you internet provider has your internet and chat history on servers, your phone provider has your calls on their servers also :P So what is the difference there? Also, he did post some of those documents on sites like wiki-leaks, so they were leaked. They were quickly removed though, so that part is not as well known. But you are right, he maybe released 10% of what he has, which means he did not release majority of what he has which is a plus on his side. He was given immunity in Russia, so I feel like they might have those files now lol and thats why they will not, and have not been release :P I do partially agree with what he ORIGINALLY did with the release of the meta-data program. But I feel he just went to far sadly and that possibly (did) tainted his actions.

It's from V for Vendetta.

He's somewhat of a hero for me personally, in my eyes he made a pretty huge sacrifice in order to benefit society.

Hmm, interesting. But what personal sacrifice? His gf lives with him in his new penthouse apartment in downtown Moscow, which he could only dream of buying with a government salary. He didn't sacrifice anything really lol also... how did he benefit society? I would argue majority of people before snowden were aware to an extent of it... Only people who are shocked or w/e are people who are kinda ignorant to the intelligence community, and his other releases which nobody is talking about, hurt society not helped without question. I honestly wonder, how much people know about his full story or just bits and pieces of it, because if they did I doubt anybody would call him a hero or appraise his 'sacrifice".

Edited by SupremeLeader