Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adirtygaspump

DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)

10 posts in this topic

Don't know if you guys have heard of DOMS, but it's where you experience muscle cramps 24-48 hours after exercise. Unfortunately, I have it, and it's so bad I can barely put a shirt on in the morning, let alone put a seat belt on in my car. Anyway, massaging, hot tub, ice packs, nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

Pretty sure the best thing you can do is rest and hope it goes away quickly

That seems to be the case. All that's helped so far is time. Although I hit the gym today while I was still sore, and it actually helped significantly with the soreness and cramps, as counter-intuitive as that sounds.

I had exactly the same issue. I couldn't extend my biceps past 90 degrees. I also had it in my legs... Now that's a fun one not being able to walk for damn near 2 days isn't exactly productive, all I did was rest most of the time and got lots of sleep.

Matt

Just enjoy it. 

I love it when I'm aching, makes me feel like I've done something.

Just imagine yourself getting stronger.

It's best to stretch after you work out to reduce soreness, and yes you can stretch now and you will most likely recover faster. Also going through the movement that caused you DOMS helps too. For example, say I do some heavy ass squats, then the next day I have DOMS because I haven't done them in awhile, then doing some lightweight squats (bodyweight or with low weight on the bar so that you can do high reps, and preferably slow tempo [control the movement]) will help alleviate the soreness.

BTW, DOMS != gains. DOMS just occurs when you do something new, DOMS does not indicate that you are growing, it's just an indicator that your muscles have done something different. i.e. once you start working out for a while consistently (with the same exercises/movements) you will eventually not have DOMS.

Having said that, DOMS is a great feeling.

Also muscle cramps are completely different. You WILL know when you have a muscle cramp, because it will fucking hurt. There is a difference between soreness and pain. And if you ever experience PAIN in your muscle(s)/tendons/ligaments/etc, I would suggest going to a doctor.

Edited by this_is_my_username

Don't know if you guys have heard of DOMS, but it's where you experience muscle cramps 24-48 hours after exercise. Unfortunately, I have it, and it's so bad I can barely put a shirt on in the morning, let alone put a seat belt on in my car. Anyway, massaging, hot tub, ice packs, nothing has worked. Any suggestions?

Just enjoy it. 

I love it when I'm aching, makes me feel like I've done something.

Just imagine yourself getting stronger.

As dom said....

Personally I LOVE the soreness. It's like a nice soreness, a soreness of mighty success and the many gains to come.

By the way, when you have been lifting for another 2-3 months you will normally experience this less, not at all or on a much smaller level. 

Deano

From previous experience and reading around , its normal to start off with.

If you keep getting it your overworking out!

Try have a day break between lifting and switch routines.

Also eat well and sleep well :P

It will get better the more you work out. Your body gets better at handling it. I can recommend investing in a foam roller. It's a foam cylinder you can use to "massage" your muscles with. Really good for legs and calves and back. Check it out how people use it on Youtube. 

Use it when you're sore, and ideally before and after a workout. 

1 person likes this