Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GrandMasterFrillz

Web Application Frameworks

5 posts in this topic

I've always been interested in web dev, building websites as a hobby for a while now. I'm pretty comfortable with all the standard stuff (HTML, CSS, PHP). I've been running my own web server on a linux box, hosting a couple of wordpess installations and some web apps written in PHP.

I haven't really been learning any new web-orientated technologies and havn't really thought about it too much up until recently. I always kind of assumed everyone just used PHP as a back-end, with your bog standard CSS and HTML at the front end and maybe a bit of JS here and there (Ajax and jQuery if you were REALLY fancy!).

Now all I hear about on the web dev front is Web Application Frameworks! Ruby on Rails, Django and NodeJS seem to be the predominant back end frameworks, while you've got stuff like AngularJS and Ember at the front end. I'm always hearing people talk about HTML5 Boilerplate and bootstrap and how it's all so great! And I'm sitting here thinking, well, I'm not exactly sure what to think!

I'm in the process of preparing myself to start learning some of these new technologies, I've been doing a little research and I think I understand what most of this stuff is used for now, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has much experience with these types of frameworks and (I know this is often very subjective) which technologies may or may not be a good choice when it comes to deciding what and what not to learn, and why.

I guess, to summarise my question - what do you think I should learn and why?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and since (I feel) the programming section of the forums doesn't really get too much action, it would be nice to get a bit of discussion going!

Cheers,

GrandMasterFrillz

I'm a front-end developer, and have been for the past 5 years. The industry, globally, is shifting towards AngularJS as a front-end framework, but if you're working with Ruby devs, they'll likely be using an Ember solution. JavaScript frameworks are quite simple to learn once you put in the hard yards with the first one. 

As for back-end, I've spent the last 18 months on .NET platforms (Umbraco, SiteCore, Tridian), and with talks of MS acquiring mobile development framework Xamarin, it looks to be getting stronger. I've always preferred open-source, though, so when I develop non-commercially, I use NodeJS. 

1 person likes this

I'm a front-end developer, and have been for the past 5 years. The industry, globally, is shifting towards AngularJS as a front-end framework, but if you're working with Ruby devs, they'll likely be using an Ember solution. JavaScript frameworks are quite simple to learn once you put in the hard yards with the first one.

As for back-end, I've spent the last 18 months on .NET platforms (Umbraco, SiteCore, Tridian), and with talks of MS acquiring mobile development framework Xamarin, it looks to be getting stronger. I've always preferred open-source, though, so when I develop non-commercially, I use NodeJS.

+1 to this, we use AngularJS at my work, seems to be getting more common. Bootstrap is used quite often, it would be worth your while to look into it.

Laravel is a great PHP framework. I use it for all my PHP projects.

Edited by artaex

AngularJS has been my baby too since last year. Used it a lot for school and small projects for work :)