Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mechmeret

Review Your Supplements

6 posts in this topic

Post Your Supplement Reviews

There are heaps upon heaps of sportsnutrition based supplements available at the shelves, which at times can make you dizzy when you are simply attempting to find a specific supplement to aid you in your health and fitness goals. In order to relieve some stress of your backs I've posted a thread where you can share your opinions on the products you've used. I will not post a form which you can follow, as I believe it will limit the potential of the reviews. Keep it informative, however still readable, and cut off excess information! 

Product's I've tried

Weight Gainers

This was the first bodybuilding supplement I purchased, and it seems to be the "begginer's trap" of gainer protein; You get a 3kg tub for around 70 usd, which seems to be a pretty solid deal. Take the serving size into calculation however, and the pricing is more than justified.

Each serving is at a much as 125g, from which you'll get around 80g of carbohydrates and just above 30 grams of protein. There are only 24 servings in one massive 3kg tub, which leaves you at a pretty expensive $3 per serving, being their best price / serving for this product.

On the bright side however, the protein is among the better tasting powders I've tasted, when mixed properly both with water and milk, and it blends superbly.  

The Protein is from quality Whey, however the carbohydrates in the powder consists mainly of maltodextrin, a poor quality source of carbohydrates. The fast digesting carbohydrates and protein in this product makes it ideal as a post-workout supplement.

As a side note I'd like to add that I would recommend to stay away form gainer products unless you are really struggling to reach your daily carb intake. 

This product is close to a replica of PF's Big Mass, it contains approximately the same amount of carbs and protein per serving, and it has the very same serving size. 

As a positive for this product, the taste is a bit "lighter" than Big Mass, and some may find it to be easier to chug down than other gainer products. The powder blends brilliantly. 

The Protein is from quality Whey, however the carbohydrates in the powder consists mainly of maltodextrin, a poor quality source of carbohydrates. The fast digesting carbohydrates and protein in this product makes it ideal as a post-workout supplement.

As a side note I'd like to add that I would recommend to stay away form gainer products unless you are really struggling to reach your daily carb intake. 

This is by a landslide the best Weight Gainer product I've tried. The price for a 4kg tub is as much as $90, with a serving size of 100g, leaving this product at a price of $2,25 per serving.

Each 100g serving contains 62g of carbohydrates and 31g of protein a 2:1 formula, beating the majority of its competitors in terms of macronutrients per gram of powder.

In addition to the macronutrients, Active Whey Gainer has an implemented Multi-Vitamin giving you 25% of your RDI of the majority of essential micronutrients per serving. 25% of your recommended RDI of most micronutrient is not a particularly great multivitamin, however it is a rare trait to be found in a gainer product and the product should be credited for it.

The taste is a bit too thick for my taste, however it's not foul tasting in any manner, and with the great blendability of the powder it goes down fairly easy.

Whey Protein

This is a Whey Concentrate product, Granting you 43g of protein, 6,3g of carbs and close to 5g of fat per 60g serving. 

If I remember correctly I got one 3kg tub for $80 usd, equating to a fairly low cost of $1,6 per serving. 

The contents of the tub is fairly pure, however you will find that it contains a bit more fat and carbohydrates than the regular whey protein concentrate. In addition to this the powder is extremely translucent, and upon removing the lid, a strong dash of mincronized powder flushes towards your face and spreads across the room. 

A real turnoff about this product is the blending; It simply will. Not. Blend. Upon mixing this powder with water, around 60-70% of the liquid will turn into a foamy texture and will be difficult to drink, and you may have to wait for 30 minutes before the entire mix has finally turned to liquid. If nothing else the taste is pretty good.

Creatine

As far as the product goes, it's as good as any other clean 100% micronized creatine powder on the shelves. It mixes very well, and I never bump into any issues while blending the product with 200ml water or orange juice.

Creatine is dirt cheap, and PF's creatine is no exception. 1/2kg costed me as little as $25, and will last me 100 days leaving the price per serving at $0.25 per serving. 

The product has no sweetener, which for my part is perfect, and it is pretty easy to drink. Some people are going to prefer to shot creatine directly into your mouth, running it down with water, however I find shaking it with a shaker to be the best way of getting it down my throat.

My strength has probably been altered slightly by creatine, and it may cause me to lift just a notch heavier / restore quicker, but I have not seen the dramatic effects which some people advertise creatine to do. I have not gained a very noticeable mass increase after supplementing with 5g creatine a day over a pretty long period of time, however I believe there is a slight increase in mass and strength caused by my supplementation.

With the price taken into consideration, creatine monohydrate is worth the (if only extremely vague) benefits and advantages in the long run, however there are definitely better ways of spending your 20 dollar bill. 

If you do decide to purchase creatine, make sure to increase your water consumption significantly for maximum results.

Glutamine

Alike the majority of supplements advertised in the bodybuilding community, Glutamine is claimed to have heaps of benefits to the average bodybuilder / athlete. Among this includes; Boosts muscular anabolic effect, reduces recovery time, and strengthening of joints. The social proof however, states the opposite; That glutamine is good for nothing except for emptying your wallet.

I got a 500g tub of Real 100% Glutamine (L glutamine for reference), for the fairly stiff price of 60 bucks. Each advertised serving is 3g, making the price per serving fairly inexpensive at $0.36. 

Personally, I did not notice any benefits when I hopped off glutamine, not to say that there were abseloutely zero improvements, as it may have slightly altered my joint strength and my recovery time in a positive nodge, however not to a degree where it was noticable. 

As a conclusion, I did pretty much waste 60 dollars on a product which did not grant me any noticable benefits, and I would not advice others to make the same mistake as I did. In other words, stay away from glutamine!

Preworkout Supplements

StarNutrition - Creatine Complete Extreme

MultiVitamins

Collet - Vitamin Bears

ControlledLabs - Orange Triad

Healthy Fats

Tran (Branded in the US as Carlson Norwegian Cod Liver Oil) is an ancient traditional omega 3 supplement which, contrary to the vast majority of fish oil products, is manufactured naturally from the liver of cod within 24 hours of being fished from the sea. The original process of producing the oils from the liver of the fish allows for a significantly more concentrated and natural product than you'd get from a regular supplement.

In opposition to the best seller Optimum Fish Oil product which contains 300mg of omega3 fatty acids per serving, a tablespoon of Tran (15ml) offers as much as 3,6g of Omega3 acids. (The serving size of the two products are fairly similar, One tbsp of Tran barely peaking above Optimum.)

In addition to this, you will also get as much as 750µg of Vitamin A (93%), 30µg of Vitamin D (600%) and 30mg of Vitamin E(249%) per serving of Tran, something you will not find in other fish oils.

Still writing a few more reviews, keep an eye up for updates :)

Edited by Mechmeret

im currently using syntha-6 cookies and cream and so far its been very good, however my concern is the pre-workout, im using musclepharm assault and it doesnt give me that much energy, it seems to run out in the middle of the workout, and it gives me headaches aswell as not letting me sleep... any suggestion for pre-workout supplements?

1 person likes this

im currently using syntha-6 cookies and cream and so far its been very good, however my concern is the pre-workout, im using musclepharm assault and it doesnt give me that much energy, it seems to run out in the middle of the workout, and it gives me headaches aswell as not letting me sleep... any suggestion for pre-workout supplements?

Sounds to me like you're sensitive to caffeine, which every preworkout on the market to my knowledge contains large dosages of. In all honesty you don't need a pre workout, I've been off them for a good two months and going still going strong.

I've tried the strength potion and super strength potion. The super strength tends to really kick in in them long, cold blood battles, however with that being said, the finance implications may be too significant for one to incur, which thus leads to the dilemma of the standard strength potion being efficient and additionally sufficient for its price? 

1 person likes this

I've tried the strength potion and super strength potion. The super strength tends to really kick in in them long, cold blood battles, however with that being said, the finance implications may be too significant for one to incur, which thus leads to the dilemma of the standard strength potion being efficient and additionally sufficient for its price? 

l0l