Welcome to TRiBot Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Qwertykeys

Bench Help!

6 posts in this topic

Any tips to help improve my bench? I can Dumbell Press like 48KG, (2 24's) but when it comes to bench press, i never try and do more than 20kg loaded on the bar, because that is difficult enough.

I'm 19 (just)

I weigh 165lbs

Working out for 7 months

If you want to gain strength then do 5 reps, 5 sets. With a barbell. Do that for a few months and make sure your diet is in check and you will see gains.

Also, make sure the weight you're using is the same throughout, so it cant be too heavy for you not to be able to perform your last set.

Above post is correct, I had insane strength gains doing 5X5. Drop sets have always worked for me though when it comes to a plateau.

Let's say you're doing a 3x8 (a good rep range to be in for both strength and muscle gains). Also, the 8th rep of each set must be difficult to finish. After your 3rd set of 8, rack the weight, wait 15 seconds and push up as many as possible. (Good to have a spotter or smith machine if necessary). By doing this, you achieve muscle failure. This forces your chest muscles to grow in order to compensate for the next time you lift. 

Also, have you tried hitting the chest muscle from different angels? 

- incline bench

- decline bench

- dumbbell flys

Also, if your getting stuck during the last part of the exercise, try strengthening your triceps. 

EAT BIG to GET BIG

everything above is correct. also you can add dips into your routine. weighted dips, dip holds, dip jumps. don't do them completely vertical, get in there at an angle 

It all comes down to eating, I bet you couldn't even tell me how many calories a day you're eating, let alone in a week.. Get that sorted, find your maintenance calorie intake then either eat 300 plus calories or 500, you wont improve bench press unless you eat more and gain weight, thats how you gain muscle.

Look up videos on form.

Few things: arch your back but keep your butt on bench, tuck elbows in, drive feet into ground to get leg drive

Use low reps, heavy weight

Avoid training to failure

good luck